Natwest to close 197 branches, 5 in Sheffield.

Lose your access to banks and be herded towards a cashless society for all without protest and I'm confident you will live to regret it.

i know am not alone in using cash when and wherever possible just to try and help us all retain that option.

i'm not wishing to stop any individual from being cashless if that's genuinely what they want. all i want is for those of us that don't want all the negative aspects of that and prefer the positive aspects of be able to use cash not be forced into something they don't want.

I have never had an issue but then again, I am not stupid enough to only have one place or bank to access money from.

When the visa payment system failed a couple of months ago shops could not accept card payments everywhere in the U.K. and Europe so people could not spend their own money= https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2018/jun/01/visa-outage-payment-chaos-after-card-network-crashes-live-updates

I have numerous bank accounts myself but not any use if the likes of visa goes into meltdown and I’m trying to pay for something by card is it?

Seems like the gist of what the article was saying was lost on you....

Went in RBS on Church street today.

There was one cashier open and a big que of customers, at lunch time.

Took about 20 minutes to get served, will avoid using them where ever possible from now on (which is probably what they want).

On 06/10/2018 at 08:12, FreeWilly said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but can you now scan cheques to pay them in as an alternative to paying it in at a branch?

Saves messing about if so, but for those who rely on a branch for whatever reason, is this new thing another nail in the coffin for bank branches and if so, will the ones that are left have enough clerks on to process the paying in from businesses who take lots of cash?

Not that it affects me but I’m curious.

You can pay cheques in with Santander machines , just select deposit cheque and feed it into the machine. Been available for years.

51 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Went in RBS on Church street today.

There was one cashier open and a big que of customers, at lunch time.

Took about 20 minutes to get served, will avoid using them where ever possible from now on (which is probably what they want).

That's  why I withdrew from Nat West  last year and changed banks, if more people did the same they'd  probably have second thoughts about what they are doing.

22 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

That's  why I withdrew from Nat West  last year and changed banks, if more people did the same they'd  probably have second thoughts about what they are doing.

That in combination with the branch in Hillsborough closing made me move to Nationwide. Guess what - when you go into Nationwide you get a sensible option: Talk to a cashier or use the automated machine.

Guest makapaka

I don’t really get why anyone needs to deal with a cashier anymore.

6 hours ago, makapaka said:

Old people that don't have anyone to talk.

People who don't have the internet/phones to do banking as they cannot afford them.

Just a couple of examples.

1 hour ago, Groose said:

People who don't have the internet/phones to do banking as they cannot afford them.

I feel that is quite a stereotype against the current generation of 'old people'.  They are far more sophisticated then we think.

The current generation of pensioners, including several pension age people I know, are much more computers savvy, they certainly do own mobile phones and are more than happy to use modern day online services.  That includes pensions and benefits being paid directly into their accounts and their widespread and confident use of modern day banking features such as debit cards, electronic transfers and direct debit bill payment.

The ye olde days of people queuing up to cash out their payments from the post office every week or fortnight are long gone for the majority.  Its quite obvious that that is only going to keep increasing as the years go by and we get into the next generation of pensioners.

Whilst I completely get the sentiment about loneliness and people to talk to - this is a bank we are talking about not a community centre.

The cold hard facts are that branches and counter services are being used less and less.  Ever increasing numbers of people are banking online, using electronic payments or simply using more convenient and easier ways of paying in money. 

Buildings and fixtures cost money.  It's perfectly understandable why banks are closing branches.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Guest makapaka
5 hours ago, Groose said:

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I feel that is quite a stereotype against the current generation of 'old people'.  They are far more sophisticated then we think.

The current generation of pensioners, including several pension age people I know, are much more computers savvy, they certainly do own mobile phones and are more than happy to use modern day online services.  That includes pensions and benefits being paid directly into their accounts and their widespread and confident use of modern day banking features such as debit cards, electronic transfers and direct debit bill payment.

The ye olde days of people queuing up to cash out their payments from the post office every week or fortnight are long gone for the majority.  Its quite obvious that that is only going to keep increasing as the years go by and we get into the next generation of pensioners.

Whilst I completely get the sentiment about loneliness and people to talk to - this is a bank we are talking about not a community centre.

The cold hard facts are that branches and counter services are being used less and less.  Ever increasing numbers of people are banking online, using electronic payments or simply using more convenient and easier ways of paying in money. 

Buildings and fixtures cost money.  It's perfectly understandable why banks are closing branches.  

I echo ECCOnoob's comments above.

13 hours ago, makapaka said:

If you have some sort of bank problem that needs sorting then you can't  get the answers from a machine.

Guest makapaka
43 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

If you have some sort of bank problem that needs sorting then you can't  get the answers from a machine.

Ring em up.