Natwest to close 197 branches, 5 in Sheffield.

40 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

If you have some sort of bank problem that needs sorting then you can't  get the answers from a machine.

No but you can pick up the phone or go online or even go to an open branch and speak to a human.

Let's not try to make out that we are completely losing a human element to banking.    It clearly still exists. Its just existing in a much more accessible form with, quite frankly better opening times.  

Doris behind the counter may well be nice for the pensioners to talk to and set up their bill payment but she ain't there after 4.30 on a friday is she.   

Meanwhile,  the rest of us are more happy being able to do it whenever we like, even in the early hours of the morning by making a simple call or clicking a mouse.  

The reason I needed a cashier was I had a fairly large cheque to pay in and although they offer an envelope service where you write the account number etc from experience getting just one number wrong can cause problems and you don’t have the benefit of a check digit when simply writing it down.

21 hours ago, makapaka said:

I don’t really get why anyone needs to deal with a cashier anymore.

It's not that I need to deal with a cashier it's just that by using a cashier and not a machine I may (admittedly in a small way) be protecting a job.

Similarly I try not to use self service counters in supermarkets.

If more people would accept the hassle of queuing in the short term then it could save a few jobs in the long term. 

Guest makapaka
13 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

It's not that I need to deal with a cashier it's just that by using a cashier and not a machine I may (admittedly in a small way) be protecting a job.

Similarly I try not to use self service counters in supermarkets.

If more people would accept the hassle of queuing in the short term then it could save a few jobs in the long term. 

That’s admirable but isn’t going to stop companies using technology to reduce salary costs. 

Non existent service from Nat west if you are going to close your branches at least make sure your phone system works.

Two  hours wasted transfered from one department to another only to be put on hold for 30 minutes plus with no reply 3 times and its the fraud department that does not answer!

No "you are xx" in a queue or waiting time just rings forever.

Assistant hinted that there are some issues with staff taking/not taking calls from home!

Edited by Fudbeer

Guest busdriver1

I have for many years now used TSB and they have retained branches with personal service. I love it and also find it useful to have interaction with staff. They have helped me when I did not know I had an issue in a way a machine can not and always get an answer there and then.

The current trend towards less staff available for face to face is a self fulfilling prophecy as customers leave to get the service they want elsewhere rendering those banks less attractive to joe public.

Yes I really do fear for the future of "physical" banks even the ones still open are trading for shorter and shorter hours and they still try to direct you to either the machines or online.

I spoke to a helpful staff member at TSB a couple of years back and when I pointed out how busy they are and asked why they were still closing branches she said the problem is the people using the branches use them for services that dont make them extra profit.

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, enntee said:

TSB are down to 3 branches in Sheffield. None of them near me.

Last time I went in person to try and solve an issue of their making, they failed apologetically, with no greater access to services than I could get online by myself.

Thats a shame and i am pleased to say is not my experience

Update finally got it sorted 45 min queue on the fraud line and no indication of waiting time or where you are in the queue.

So 3 hours to sort a basic issue.

On 10/11/2020 at 20:01, Fudbeer said:

Non existent service from Nat west if you are going to close your branches at least make sure your phone system works.

Two  hours wasted transfered from one department to another only to be put on hold for 30 minutes plus with no reply 3 times and its the fraud department that does not answer!

No "you are xx" in a queue or waiting time just rings forever.

Assistant hinted that there are some issues with staff taking/not taking calls from home!

I had similar, passed from pillar to post on the phone because it couldn't be sorted out online. 

And to add insult to injury, while you're on hold you get the annoying message "you could do this online"

16 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Barclays branch at Hillsborough is to close in mid December.

Dear me. I worked there 1960-62. Ernie Farmer was my first manager then Ken Kaye after Ernie retired.