Natwest to close 197 branches, 5 in Sheffield.

I only go in the bank when I have to pay in a cheque (usually from an aged relative or similar). I can do this by filling in a slip and posting it in the box in the branch, without even dealing with the staff. If the branch wasn't there I guess I would go to the post office or post the cheque to the bank. Bank closures are no great loss to me but I appreciate they are for many people.

It's structural change and that hits some people hard. Capitalism doesn't care about that though. Tough luck suckers!

This situation is becoming a bit of a nightmare for my husband. Like many small business owners he deals largely in cash, and needs to make regular deposits so as not to keep too much money on the premises. He's already having to drive halfway across the city to get to his bank (which is not Natwest, but another 'big name' bank which is closing local branches). Having spoken to other small traders, I know he's far from alone. What are people in his position supposed to do?

Valid point.

Some friends run a family firm, with a turnover less than the current VAT threshold.

They don't accept credit cards as payment for their services because of the charges levied, so deal in cash or cheque only.

Their options at present are to use the local RBS - only open 3 days a week at present - for certain transactions, and the local "service with a snarl" post office for other matters.

Unfortunately, the staff at the PO have made it very clear that their enforced new duties are not at all welcome, and as a result most requests for assistance are met with an intake of breath and a scowl.

Guest makapaka
Valid point.

Some friends run a family firm, with a turnover less than the current VAT threshold.

They don't accept credit cards as payment for their services because of the charges levied, so deal in cash or cheque only.

Their options at present are to use the local RBS - only open 3 days a week at present - for certain transactions, and the local "service with a snarl" post office for other matters.

Unfortunately, the staff at the PO have made it very clear that their enforced new duties are not at all welcome, and as a result most requests for assistance are met with an intake of breath and a scowl.

I’m sure the banks will work out a way to get the money don’t worry.

Saw this on the Star website and thought the Broomhill one must be safe as it says Broomhall.

Welcome to online only banking,like it or not,people cost money get used to it.

Its only numbers anyhow,and everyone thought slavery was abolished,wake up and watch the cattle wagons every morning!

As more people switch to online and mobile banking there is no need for so many branches.

Trouble is they close a branch because it saves money thereby forcing people to the internet and then say, more people are using internet banking. I'e, vicious circle.

---------- Post added 02-12-2017 at 11:11 ----------

Is this part of the drive for a 'cashless Society?' Beware.

Or are the greedy banks short of money?

Exactly .

---------- Post added 02-12-2017 at 11:13 ----------

the answers simple switch bank to the one close to you.

your letting the closing bank know your feelings and in most cases picking up £200 for switching

Even if the nearest one is miles away.

Edited by spilldig

As more people switch to online and mobile banking there is no need for so many branches.

Not always the answer. We lost out village post office and now have to travel eight miles to our bank - to be met with a situation of a solitary cashier with a long queue but numerous staff swanning around in order to advocate using a machine to pay in/draw out - machines which, from personal experience even when operated by the staff themselves, don't always work first time. So, the answer is always to go on-line. Well we did but a major drawback is our intermittent broadband connection. It's worrying to be halfway through a transaction and then the "system" to falter. A small business in our village has, on more than one occasion, had to trust total strangers to call back later to pay in cash as the internet hasn't allowed a card transaction.

No great loss to the much sought-after village of Firth Park.

I only used their cash machine occasionally, and since Heron Foods opened with an instore ATM, I use it even less.

One more greedy bank closes, proof that Capitalism is on its last legs :clap:

Up the workers :hihi:

Look on the bright side joker, room for another much needed betting shop.

Yeah probably has it (Millhouses Sheffield) always been a bank ?

Certainly since 1968 because I opened my first bank account there at that time. It may have been The National Provincial Bank, but it was around then the NP and Westminster banks merged to form NatWest.

Allowing the banks to close is a step on the way to a 'cashless society.' Then the banks will truly be in charge...

Computer says No....

Look on the bright side joker, room for another much needed betting shop.

I am hoping we’ll get something a little classier, like a fast food takeaway perhaps, or maybe even a frozen food shop :)

Any one know where the accounts are due to be transferred to when Hillsborough shuts.