Slidey pavements

Radio Sheffield's Toby Foster gave over a fair proportion of his show this morning with interviews from a number of people from across Sheffield, including Crookes, Firth Park & Wincobank. All had the same complaint, the pavements around where they lived that had been resurfaced, we're now incredibly slippy, too smooth; retained water on the surface & had an oily film leaking from the pitch.

Foster interviewed Amey spokesman, Nick Hetherington, who said that the surfaces were laid to UK industry standard, that Amey monitored the situation where complaints about slippery surfaces were received, plotted them on a map to see if there were any hot spots that might need further investigation.

When Foster raised the issue that over 100 people attended A&E recently indicating falls on slippy pavements, Hetherington's response was Amey only had an extra 70 complaints up on the previous year. Although no mention was made of how many complaints were made the previous year?

One of the most interesting points of this morning's piece was that Foster / Radio Sheffield, had to make it clear that the Sheffielders interviewed had no previous or current involvement in any tree felling disputes with Amey or belonged to any protest group.

Guest makapaka
Radio Sheffield's Toby Foster gave over a fair proportion of his show this morning with interviews from a number of people from across Sheffield, including Crookes, Firth Park & Wincobank. All had the same complaint, the pavements around where they lived that had been resurfaced, we're now incredibly slippy, too smooth; retained water on the surface & had an oily film leaking from the pitch.

Foster interviewed Amey spokesman, Nick Hetherington, who said that the surfaces were laid to UK industry standard, that Amey monitored the situation where complaints about slippery surfaces were received, plotted them on a map to see if there were any hot spots that might need further investigation.

When Foster raised the issue that over 100 people attended A&E recently indicating falls on slippy pavements, Hetherington's response was Amey only had an extra 70 complaints up on the previous year. Although no mention was made of how many complaints were made the previous year?

One of the most interesting points of this morning's piece was that Foster / Radio Sheffield, had to make it clear that the Sheffielders interviewed had no previous or current involvement in any tree felling disputes with Amey or belonged to any protest group.

I listened to the same interview - it involved Toby foster frantically trying to find an angle to criticise the guy who I thought spoke very well..

At one point toby foster suggested that amey should only lay paths at a particular time of year to give enough time for the paths to wear before it was icy.

He then stated that amey had stopped gritting pavements as the council had done previously - when pavements have never been gritted - except for in the town centre on occasion.

Finally he made the guys comments about receiving 70 complaints into an example of them not feeling this was significant - when in fact the guy was highlighting that this has been a bad year for ice and trips.

I listened to the same interview - it involved Toby foster frantically trying to find an angle to criticise the guy who I thought spoke very well..

At one point toby foster suggested that amey should only lay paths at a particular time of year to give enough time for the paths to wear before it was icy.

He then stated that amey had stopped gritting pavements as the council had done previously - when pavements have never been gritted - except for in the town centre on occasion.

Finally he made the guys comments about receiving 70 complaints into an example of them not feeling this was significant - when in fact the guy was highlighting that this has been a bad year for ice and trips.

Hetherington also mentioned that any water on pavements should drain away into the gutter, suggesting that the pavements should have some form of camber?

Well there's certainly no camber to the pavement on my road. Maybe I should give Amey a call & tell them that they've not resurfaced it right?

Guest makapaka
Hetherington also mentioned that any water on pavements should drain away into the gutter, suggesting that the pavements should have some form of camber?

Well there's certainly no camber to the pavement on my road. Maybe I should give Amey a call & tell them that they've not resurfaced it right?

Absolutely if that’s the case. Let us know how you get on.

Round our way before resurfacing all footpaths had a gentle slope, say a couple of inches or so over 6 feet towards the gutter.

After resurfacing they still do - with a little bit of extra slope in the last few inches on the roadside.

Expect this will be worn away by cars parking half on the pavement.

Edited by Longcol

It's about time The Star started demanding answers. It's a cert Amey and the Council are not giving residents any satisfactory ones.

They should get a grip!

They are more slippery than before when icy. It's because when a footpath is worn and pulling up etc. there is more grip.

That's useful when it's icy - but not so much when it's not and creates pot holes / trip hazards / loose tarmac etc.

That's why they were replaced - now they're slippy when you get black ice.

Think of it like old lino in your house that's tattered and torn up. It's messy and you might trip on a loose bit but you never slip over. Then you put brand new lovely lino down and one day you mop it - someone walks in the room and slips on the wet floor. You don't start ripping up your new lino do you?

What are you on about???? This is claptrap. The problem well documented and declared illegal in Ireland, Netherlands and other places in EU... They are using Sma.. But likely using low grade stone.. It needs more mastic to bind it which makes it impermeable... Hence water gathers on top forming sheet Ice when sub zero.

Also makes stopping distances longer and just for Sheffield produces more run off and more chance of flooding. Super....

I suspect mixed to just on spec at base by bulk consignments but individual batches could well be very much below spec... Also no variability checks likely on individual batches so average of batch (25 ton) possibly on spec but head and tails of batch might be way off and then cause problems... Which could of course be death by excessive stopping distance of bump on head..... Seems like a scandal we are happy to pay for....

Guest makapaka
What are you on about???? This is claptrap. The problem well documented and declared illegal in Ireland, Netherlands and other places in EU... They are using Sma.. But likely using low grade stone.. It needs more mastic to bind it which makes it impermeable... Hence water gathers on top forming sheet Ice when sub zero.

Also makes stopping distances longer and just for Sheffield produces more run off and more chance of flooding. Super....

I suspect mixed to just on spec at base by bulk consignments but individual batches could well be very much below spec... Also no variability checks likely on individual batches so average of batch (25 ton) possibly on spec but head and tails of batch might be way off and then cause problems... Which could of course be death by excessive stopping distance of bump on head..... Seems like a scandal we are happy to pay for....

Have you reported these findings to the council?

Roads and paths at the back of where I work haven't been done in donkeys years - yet when we get rain I've never seen it soak in anywhere - it goes down the gutter.

And when we had black ice the other Friday it was really slippy - we had to stop people trying to park at the back of the building which slopes towards the office after the first one that tried it cam down sideways and missed hitting the wall by inches.

Not camber, it's crossfall

Round our way before resurfacing all footpaths had a gentle slope, say a couple of inches or so over 6 feet towards the gutter.

After resurfacing they still do - with a little bit of extra slope in the last few inches on the roadside.

Expect this will be worn away by cars parking half on the pavement.

Correct, the crossfall is usually 1 in 40, 25mm per metre, roughly your 2 inches in 6 feet

There was a petition at a council do last week on pavements in Tinsley..... Rest of area needs reporting

---------- Post added 21-02-2018 at 08:55 ----------

This is very much worth signing as it might actually stay a much needed debate over what is otherwise a secret pfi corporate take over of the council and our streets https://www.change.org/p/petition-to-rescind-the-streets-ahead-pfi-contract-with-amey-hallam-highways-ltd?recruiter=403923024&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition