Slidey pavements

I predict a few compo claims going in...

Its the only way they learn.

I don't think you quite understand the issue being discussed here.

Let me explain slowly using my own experience.

I tread the same footpaths frequently for my 2 mile daily walk to work as i have done for 3 years now.

I would say just under half of those footpaths have been renewed.

What i noticed immediately is (even with trainers on) i am a lot less sure-footed on the new paths due to the sliding and slipping even when it is not blatantly frosty nor below/close to freezing .

I have absolutely no such problem on the 'older' sections.

Maybe over time the surface will become less slippery but there is no doubt in my mind that the new paths ARE indeed slippery. So people aren't going mad, or not using their initiative nor need to stay indoors to avoid the 'frost'.

To me the materials used look and 'feel' very different. The old footpaths have a much rougher finish whilst new ones are dead smooth...

I agree, these new surfaces seem to be very "smooth" when laid, maybe they should have a thin layer of fine gravel spread and rolled to finish it off, giving a bit of grip to our footwear.

Angel1.

This is to do with more cost-cutting by Amey as part of the PFI deal. The surfaces are not fit for purpose. People are going to/have already been hurt because of the new road and pavement surfaces being too slippy. I urge everyone who has been affected to report it via http://srha.site/

what are your qualifications in highway construction?

just to clarify. it's ice that is slippy.

but it does seem to be more slippy on refurbished pavements then the older ones

Do I have to be qualified in highway construction to understand that an awful lot of pedestrians, drivers and cyclists are slipping a lot more on the new surfaces than they did on the old ones in similar conditions? The difference is palpable and people are even slipping when the pavements are dry with no ice.

It does not require a distinct layer of ice for these new surfaces to become dangerously slippy.

You lot make me laugh ....it was black ice it happened in other areas ( not covered by the devil know as amey ...lol) I work out of town and other people in that area where saying how slippery the paths where.....i for one would prefer nice smooth roads and paths for most of the year and put up with the odd frosty slippy paths for a few days !

Its the only way they learn.

Given some of the other recent stories about PFI contracts I'd be surprised if anyone pays other than ultimately us as tax payers so those putting in claims are in effect suing themselves (and the rest of us).

And yes the roads and pavements were more slippy Friday/Saturday - that's because we've not had smooth roads/pavements for 20 years!

As I slid around Carter Knowle I did keep my spirits up thinking about people complaining about resurfaced roads - bring back our potholes!!

You lot make me laugh ....it was black ice it happened in other areas ( not covered by the devil know as amey ...lol) I work out of town and other people in that area where saying how slippery the paths where.....i for one would prefer nice smooth roads and paths for most of the year and put up with the odd frosty slippy paths for a few days !

And before anyone in Sheffield had heard of Amey we've had black ice.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=538893

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=446698

I agree, these new surfaces seem to be very "smooth" when laid, maybe they should have a thin layer of fine gravel spread and rolled to finish it off, giving a bit of grip to our footwear.

Angel1.

It's only a thin coat to start with, hence all the pot holes 6-12 months after it's been laid

Take small steps and keep your feet flat ! :)