Pay as you go/Wi-fi compatible tablet

Good Morning,

I'm wanting to purchase a tablet for my parents that is both PAYG and Wi-Fi compatible. I don't want to tie them into a contract. Please can someone advise me what model to purchase please? I want to buy a reasonably priced, not too much however as they are not computer geeks at all. Infact I'll have to show them how to turn the device on ?

Kind Regards Nicola.

Hi.

First can I ask why PAYG?

Personally I'd recommend a Kindle Fire tablet (superb value for money) and then get a separate Mi-Fi dongle on PAYG.

I use ID mobile, for £5 a month I get 1.5Gb of data with that.

Do they have a smartphone? If so, you could look for a calls+data package for the phone and tether it to a tablet. As an example, I have an iPhone with 2,000 minutes calls plus 1.5GB data for £5 per month. When out and about I tether the iPhone to the iPad and it is super simple - works very well too. Have also tethered an Android phone to the iPad. If you go down this route they get a two in one package.

It’s a matter of opinion, but an iPad is possibly easiest for someone who has never used a tablet. Also, some libraries have teaching sessions on how to use them.

Edited by Jomie

Hi.

First can I ask why PAYG?

I don't want to tie them into a contract, if they choose to invest in a wireless package afterwards that would be their choice. I was thinking of purchasing a tablet that accomodates both PAYG and Wi-Fi. My intention was to purchase them some data on the card to start them off, then they have the option to decide the way forward. I don't want to purchase a gift for them, that also ties them to a contract. I would just feel awful giving them a present that also came with a tied in contract through no choice of their own.

Thanks ?

Just look at tablets that state "3G/4G and WiFi" I know that the Galaxy Tabs, and iPads come in both WiFi only, and "Cellular and WiFi" (which is the other name)

not sure on your budget, but something like this would do it....

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tablets/galaxy-tab-s2-8-0-t719/SM-T719NZKEBTU/

beyond that, just pick a 'data only' Pay as you Go SIM package from your chosen mobile operator, and stick that in the tablet

Personally I'd recommend a Kindle Fire tablet (superb value for money) and then get a separate Mi-Fi dongle on PAYG.

I use ID mobile, for £5 a month I get 1.5Gb of data with that.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply it is much appreciated. Unfortunately I'm not a tech wizard

myself ! I've tried to research this myself and did come across the dongle option. However I'm not tech minded, infact I'm not much minded at the mo unfortunately !

Sorry if I appear stupid asking these questions !

Would the Kindle Fire be both Wi-Fi and PAYG compatible if I purchased a dongle?

My next question is in relation to the dongle, what exactly is this and how does it work?

Sorry I'm only used to Wi-Fi myself so I confused by other options available !

Thanks love I do appreciate your advice ?

---------- Post added 29-11-2017 at 17:14 ----------

Just look at tablets that state "3G/4G and WiFi" I know that the Galaxy Tabs, and iPads come in both WiFi only, and "Cellular and WiFi" (which is the other name)

not sure on your budget, but something like this would do it....

http://www.samsung.com/uk/tablets/galaxy-tab-s2-8-0-t719/SM-T719NZKEBTU/

beyond that, just pick a 'data only' Pay as you Go SIM package from your chosen mobile operator, and stick that in the tablet

Thankyou much appreciated, I had managed to assertain both the ipad and the Galaxy tabs are not compatible ?

The dongle is basically portable WiFi, so its certainly that little bit more cumbersome and another battery to worry about.

Do they have a smartphone? If so, you could look for a calls+data package for the phone and tether it to a tablet. As an example, I have an iPhone with 2,000 minutes calls plus 1.5GB data for £5 per month. When out and about I tether the iPhone to the iPad and it is super simple - works very well too. Have also tethered an Android phone to the iPad. If you go down this route they get a two in one package.

It’s a matter of opinion, but an iPad is possibly easiest for someone who has never used a tablet. Also, some libraries have teaching sessions on how to use them.

That would require me changing my dads phone package, and believe me it wouldnt be

worth the grief. Im going to have all on showing them the bssics, by that I mean turning

it on and off, and how to browse online ! I'm beginning to have 2nd second thoughts re this brainwave of mine :loopy:

Thanks for your advice though it is much appreciated. I've just purchased the samsung S2 8" myself to play on ?

Will they understand PAYG? Might be better to just stick to WiFi only.

Thankyou much appreciated, I had managed to assertain both the ipad and the Galaxy tabs are not compatible ?

What do you mean, "not compatible", not compatible with what?

if you get like I said, one that's "Cellular and WiFi" (either 3G and/or 4G) then put a Pay as you go SIM from ANY network you want in it, it will work as you want...

if you get a "WiFi Only" then it won't work, unless you do as suggested above and getting a "MiFi" type setup...

What do you mean, "not compatible", not compatible with what?

if you get like I said, one that's "Cellular and WiFi" (either 3G and/or 4G) then put a Pay as you go SIM from ANY network you want in it, it will work as you want...

if you get a "WiFi Only" then it won't work, unless you do as suggested above and getting a "MiFi" type setup...

My apologies, I misunderstood your response initially, totally my fault Im currently off

sick and my heads not in a good place st the moment hence why Im having to ask for advice in relation to this subject.

My apologies ?