Scaffolding in Sheffield town centre

Having walked round the town centre on Saturday I was amazed the amount of scaffolding round several buildings.The scaffold wrapped around WHSmiths seems to have been there forever. I cant help thinking it must be bad planning on behalf of either the town-planners or the shop-owners to have this set of obstacles and eyesores on the busy streets at this time of year/Does anyone else feel the same as me.

Fargate is certainly like an obstruction course at present.

Not convinced that scaffolding around WH Smiths will ever go anywhere!

It's grim isn't it? Scaffolding, people asking you for money every few steps and empty shops. Hardly a very pleasant shopping/visiting experience!

I am afraid the scaffolding is long term and it will be there for many months and certainly through this and next Christmas I think . On the moor people begging seems to getting few and far between , a dedicated police officer seems to be doing a good job he is going into stores as well . Need this action all over town I think

Not convinced that scaffolding around WH Smiths will ever go anywhere!

It's grim isn't it? Scaffolding, people asking you for money every few steps and empty shops. Hardly a very pleasant shopping/visiting experience!

I agree Paula. Centre of Sheffield is very depressing.

Scaffolding and cranes are sometimes a sign that investment is happening. See it as a positive thing.

I work in a town several miles away from Sheffield. In 15 years I've seen one development requiring cranes and scaffolding. Now that's depressing.

I am afraid the scaffolding is long term and it will be there for many months and certainly through this and next Christmas I think . On the moor people begging seems to getting few and far between , a dedicated police officer seems to be doing a good job he is going into stores as well . Need this action all over town I think

What is the problem with all the scaffolding at Smiths? Another year after this?!

Scaffolding and cranes are sometimes a sign that investment is happening. See it as a positive thing.

This is Sheffield Forum. The word 'positive' doesn't get much mention on here.

I think all the buildings are having a face lift they should look great when completed

I agree Paula. Centre of Sheffield is very depressing.

Parts of it are, other parts not so.

I walked through Peace Gardens one evening last week, and then through Winter Gardens onto Surrey St. Peace Gardens were looking good, as always, and the Xmas stalls, and lighting looked good, and it felt an inviting place to be.

I walked down the Moor a few weeks ago, and it is noticeably busier than in the past, and a much more pleasant place to be, and a recent evening trip to the new cinema, also a great development.

Once the new HSBC offices are completed, then that brings a whole load of daytime trade to that area of town.

Hard to say what the future of Fargate will be, the focus is shifting away from it. It's a shame about the scaffolding, but it's not the end of the world.

I am curious to know what, if anything, is happening behind the WHSmith scaffolding though!

Having walked round the town centre on Saturday I was amazed the amount of scaffolding round several buildings.The scaffold wrapped around WHSmiths seems to have been there forever. I cant help thinking it must be bad planning on behalf of either the town-planners or the shop-owners to have this set of obstacles and eyesores on the busy streets at this time of year/Does anyone else feel the same as me.

Does scaffolding put you off going in a shop?

It looks like a big climbing frame. I've sort of gotten used to it, and have actually forgotten what it looked like before