Recommendations for 2nd hand guitar

Hi

All the threads on this are old so I thought I'd ask for recommendations.

My son has decided to learn to play guitar, he loves music but is also an electronics geek so the idea of building amps, wiring etc is also a keen interest.

I see there are 3 guitar shops in Sheffield but I'm a bit daunted to go along as I know nothing whatsoever about music, guitars etc and I'm worried they will blind me with science like carphone warehouse!

Just need an electric guitar for a beginner, all set up, but decent quality and nice looking as it will probably end up in my living room .....

Thanks

Duckegg

Jackson guitars are good value, they are owned by Fender. Richtone on Broadfield rd stock a range.

Cash Converters have some bargains. I got a Vintage semi acoustic for £120. It is a lovely guitar. He needs to know what he is looking for or take someone with him with the knowledge.

---------- Post added 26-11-2017 at 21:49 ----------

The Sheffield Musicians Facebook page is worth a look too.

I'd steer him away from an electric guitar as a beginner.

He'd be far better off learning on an acoustic guitar (and so would you!). I'd go for a Spanish style guitar. The reason why is they have nylon strings - much kinder on the fingers - and a wide neck - which makes it much easier for young inexperienced fingers to learn to play chords.

Another advantage is that he will be able to play it anywhere, not depending on plugging it into an amp, and you won't be drowned out by noise.

If he takes to it then by all means he can progress to an electric guitar later. By which time the noise he creates from it is likely to be more pleasant than the stuff a beginner will be belting out from an amp.

Let him satisfy his love of electronics by other means. Buy him the easiest guitar for him to learn on, which is an acoustic, and let him progress from there.

Final point - it's not worth buying a really cheap guitar, whichever type you go for. You don't have to spend a lot of money, but if you buy cheap you'll definitely buy twice and you'll end up with some rubbish that is quite difficult to play, goes out of tune easily and sounds horrible. And don't buy a children's size guitar - unless he's really young and can't get his hands around the neck of anything bigger.

If you're after a starter electric, you can't go far wrong with either a Squier or a Yamaha Pacifica. Under £200 and won't be an unplayable heap. Also lots of scope for upgrading the electrics etc if he's into that.

Disagree on the advice on the acoustic. Stick with the electric, easier to learn on. Be careful with the Squiers of which I am a big fan. Avoid the Affinity models and go for the Standard model if you can, even if you go second hand. Try Richtone, good selection, advise and facility to try. What is his budget.

Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

Think it will have to be electric though - he won't budge on this. I'm hoping for something under 200 - think he will manage weight, neck etc - he's 20 :)

There's plenty of good second hand guitars around. The best thing to do is to go in store and play one.

Everyone has a personal preference. I'd recommend going to Rich Tone, they have tonnes of decent guitars!

Go to a music shop with an experienced guitarist, and follow his advise.

Go to a music shop with an experienced guitarist, and follow his advise.

Steve French a guitarist of some note, no pun intended, used to work at wavelength on a Saturday.

Rich Tone a pretty good.

If he wants electric then that is the way to go, and I have played both.

Squire Stratocasters are good value and kind to the fingers at under £200, and Yamaha are usually good £ for £ too.

Good luck in your search bro!