Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Amey are out in force in S8 area resurfacing a road !

SCC can't grit this area but Amey can resurface the snow and ice covered roads :o

P.s., - Amey's have been forced to resurface said road - there has been a problem with standing water since their last attempt which has caused a problem with sheet ice over the past few weeks.

It is AMEY who are responsible for Gritting the roads,they have been for about the last 5 years, as well resurfacing. Not SCC

There's always an excuse for you to do nothing to help anyone else isn't there?

The culture of pc madness is great for you as it gives you something to hide behind.

not at all the fact is clearing snow can be worse id rather walk on snow that ptentialy hazardous pavement

Will you be posting the link showing successful claims against an individual later?

No. Will you?

My last years before retiring I was a park supervisor for local council and when the weather was bad I used to ask for help , from outside services , to clear paths and carparks and when a new supervisor was set on and I asked for help he used to say it was too dangerous for his outside services men to work and send them home . Leaving me and a part time caterer to do it on our own . All that about not being able to clean paths is a load of rubbish .

People also have a responsibility for their own safety while walking along a pavement no matter what's been done to it or not. It is reasonable to assume that pavements may be icy when it's freezing. It doesn't stop people clearing snow.

These resurfaced pavements can be a bit tricky but I'm still clearing the stretch around my home.

Not half! I noticed it myself but just had someone come up from Nottingham and his first comment was about how slippery Sheffield footpaths are

I know 2 people who have suffered broken wrists the last few days. But at least you won't step on a leaf because that would be really awful

It’s white over in our cul-de-sac in stannington. Grrrrr

Very icey out there this morning

Wish the BBC or Met Office could actually get the forecast right for once. Was in Coop in Fulwood last night when it started snowing. I jumped in the car, but by the time I got near the top of the hill on Crimicar Lane I had to dig myself out with the aid of a shovel and helpful sandbox.

A massive thank you to the man and his son who gave me the push I needed. It meant I got home with the car and didn't have to abandon it. Good to know there are still neighbourly people around.

does anone know what the snows like in crookes I was going to try and open my shop today

At around 08:00, about an 20mm deep, with the falling snow turning to light drops of rain

(bloody cold though)