Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Grass verges are coming into their own now - knew there was a use for them somewhere apart from dog toilets and car parking!

Well I'm certainly not walking through a dogs toilet!

When it snows in America, they also have transport problems, schools closed, roads closed, power failures, public transport cancelled. Its just nonsense to claim they aren't affected.

I have lived there 10 years and 20 years in Sheffield.

Love Sheffield for how it blows little things out of proportion, it adds character and there is nothing wrong with it.

I rather watch lots of people make a big deal of a tiny little beast than live in one of these metropolises again where that beast wouldn't even be considered to be a fart.

Last Sunday nearly all buses were down and taxis hard to get.

It is because I have experienced both these worlds and actually seen the differences that makes me see the reality of it all when we close most schools and stop mail delivery and other services over relatively little snow and relatively warm weather. And get all panicky over it.

I don't mind it, it is funny and gives Sheffield a character you don't experience in these big cold metropolises that can handle -40 and 50cm snow as a standard procedure.

Have a look at the link below and tell us that the US don't get snow like us

gethttps://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2018/01/16/...storm...snow.../1036039001/

I didn't say they didn't get snow like us..

But they might get snow like we.

But they might get snow like we.

That'd be the yellow stuff would it?

Oh heck it's snowing again, should turn to rain later in the day, probably need your brolly for the coming week!

According to the weather report it's going to warm up considerably in the evening/overnight so hopefully whatever falls for the next few hours will be gone by tomorrow.

12 degree temperature difference between now and tomorrow... the weather is mad.

Yes looks like the worst is going to be this morning.

7 degrees this afternoon!

Edited by Fudbeer

You can expel Russian diplomats, but you can't

expel Russian weather :D

Mike Brewer of Wheeler Dealers says “never buy a car in the rain”, I was planning a drive to Chesterfield to view one today, I reckon that I’ll wait until tomorrow.

Anyone been out on the roads? What are they like?

No chance of us getting out, our road is untreated, untracked right now and we're on a hill whichever way we go.

---------- Post added 02-04-2018 at 08:36 ----------

I have lived there 10 years and 20 years in Sheffield.

Love Sheffield for how it blows little things out of proportion, it adds character and there is nothing wrong with it.

I rather watch lots of people make a big deal of a tiny little beast than live in one of these metropolises again where that beast wouldn't even be considered to be a fart.

Last Sunday nearly all buses were down and taxis hard to get.

It is because I have experienced both these worlds and actually seen the differences that makes me see the reality of it all when we close most schools and stop mail delivery and other services over relatively little snow and relatively warm weather. And get all panicky over it.

I don't mind it, it is funny and gives Sheffield a character you don't experience in these big cold metropolises that can handle -40 and 50cm snow as a standard procedure.

Amusingly I was in vancouver last month when the "beast from the east" hit Sheffield.

What was even funnier was that vancouver had about 1cm of snow as well. And shut down. They don't get much snow either, being on the coast, the city was closed down, buses couldn't run, cars crashed, the police advised people to stay at home.

That's the 2nd biggest city in Canada, a place that is known for its wintery weather and only 2 hrs from Whistler (a ski resort)...