Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Temperature down to minus 4.5 so ice tonight on partially cleared roads will be an issue

Its a bit tasty over Crookes right now. The 52s that are trapped are turning around at the petrol station rather than going down to Hillsborough and coming back over. We have a snow plow and a wrecker truck extracting busses from Heavygate. A truck and delivery van stuck on Bole hill-road and a 4x4 in a ditch on Hagg lane

I've received a warning for my posts on the weather threads

I can't post in football pages too, never realised football fans were such a sensitive bunch

Its only a joke, people need to lighten up

Bunch of snowflakes ;)

Roads improving but not helped by numb nuts who abandon there cars partially blocking junctions and five feet out in the road. This is at the top of Scarsdale road outside the cross scythes pub.

He could easily reversed it back into Derbyshire Lane out of the way.

Hopefully get a ticket but somehow doubt it.

Just what's happened to the common sense of the people of Sheffield? Ok I'm going back to the fifties, but Schools never closed, people got to work, in short they just got on with it. I can remember my mother walking to her work on Hastings Road at Millhouses from the Manor at four o'clock in the morning because of snow, she just got on with it, my father did the same, he walked to Hackenthorpe to his work on building houses, seems people have forgot what their legs are really for, the only time I missed work was when it snowed heavy and I wasn't going to walk to my place of work in Hathersage

My parents were not different it's what everyone did, they just got on with it.

Makes you wonder how some of the younger generation would have survived when we had PROPER snow in the 60`s and 70`s . This is nowt , yet schools close and the country grinds to a standstill.

I remember walking two miles to get to school in the 70`s through a foot of snow ,and the heating wasnt working. we sat in lessons in our coats,hats and gloves and just carried on regardless.

Nowadays, half inch of snow and the schools are shut. Its pathetic.

Bunch of snowflakes ;)

Yes, I must admit that on the few occasions I've ventured on the sub-forums, I've come across a very cold-front too.

Guest makapaka
Makes you wonder how some of the younger generation would have survived when we had PROPER snow in the 60`s and 70`s . This is nowt , yet schools close and the country grinds to a standstill.

I remember walking two miles to get to school in the 70`s through a foot of snow ,and the heating wasnt working. we sat in lessons in our coats,hats and gloves and just carried on regardless.

Hardly any schools closed.

The country isn’t at a standstill.

Roads improving but not helped by numb nuts who abandon there cars partially blocking junctions and five feet out in the road. This is at the top of Scarsdale road outside the cross scythes pub.

He could easily reversed it back into Derbyshire Lane out of the way.

Hopefully get a ticket but somehow doubt it.

The price of the beer probably sent him in to a tailspin.

I remember walking two miles to get to school in the 70`s through a foot of snow ,and the heating wasnt working.

Ah yes... that famous lack of interest in the safety and wellbeing of children that was the 1970s. It brings a tear of nostalgia to the eye so it does. :hihi:

Nowadays, all and sundry want to sue schools at any opportunity, so schools have to exercise extreme caution.

---------- Post added 28-02-2018 at 18:29 ----------

You'd think after all that dedication you displayed, they'd at least have had the decency to teach you how to use capital letters and apostrophes.

Ah yes... that famous lack of interest in the safety and wellbeing of children that was the 1970s. It brings a tear of nostalgia to the eye so it does. :hihi:

So kids walking to school in the snow is dangerous ? :hihi::hihi:

And woe betide if the little darlings get cold hands and faces whilst out in the snow.

Its pathetic.

I live on a main road and bus route. Last week and the week before when we had a couple of periods of sub zero temperatures we had 2 or 3 gritters past every evening. Since the snow arrived yesterday not a one, got up at 5.30am and obviously no gritters overnight. Just travelled from high green to Broomhill and back picking son up from work, roads atrocious and not a gritter seen there and back. Where the hell are they??????