Winter weather thread 2017/2018

In my original post I said I would not walk the ten miles in the snow to Hathersage.

30 years ago I cycled 12 miles to Bamford in deep snow when I worked at Carbolite. When I got there I was the only worker from Sheffield who got in. They closed the office at midday so I basically set off back over Moscar again and walked/cycled home.

I wouldn't even think off trying that these days.

Just what's happened to the common sense of the people of Sheffield? Ok I'm going back to the fifties, but Schools never closed, people got to work, in short they just got on with it.

I walked home from Garden Street in town to Woodhouse in the early 90s when the buses went off because of snow.

Needless to say I didn't walk back the next day.

As for schools closing, the problem are the muppets who drive their kids to school. They can barely drive and park in normal weather. In Winter they can be lethal.

I noticed on the news that the police advise you not to travel unless necessary.

Obviously driving 30 miles to their HQ is necessary as they're expecting all their staff in today.

Perhaps they should have added "except for essential services" in their statement.

Guest makapaka
It used to be called winter, with a bit of wind on Friday. Now it's The Beast From The East and Storm Emma.

Even though there's not much snow compared to winters of a couple of decades ago, there are many many more snowflakes.

This is what happens when people assume the media represents public opinion.

Don"t panic.

Stay calm.

Wait for global warming to kick in.

I used to have a proper snow shovel.

Beast from east is a pussy kitten thinking of what I used to call a snowstorm.

Well said, people give up too easily,the same people who say they can't get into work will expect the people who work at their local shop to have got to work so they can get their bread, milk, paper.

And the people who do not attempt to walk will expect to still get paid, if you don't even try to get in to work you should loose your pay

And the people who do not attempt to walk will expect to still get paid, if you don't even try to get in to work you should loose your pay

Plus the blackmark on your employment record,my wife volunteered not to travel in and be docked her pay - still got HR to answer to when she goes back.

Be O.K. tomorrow, IT"S SPRING.

Love all the snow hero’s... I walked 87 mile to work... well done.. you can give yourself a gold medal.. I woke up, looked out of the window... though nope..I’ll Work from home... enjoy the walk..mugs..

Hi guys where's best place to go sledging today please