Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Just what's happened to the common sense of the people of Sheffield? Ok I'm going back to the fifties, but Schools never closed, people got to work, in short they just got on with it. I can remember my mother walking to her work on Hastings Road at Millhouses from the Manor at four o'clock in the morning because of snow, she just got on with it, my father did the same, he walked to Hackenthorpe to his work on building houses, seems people have forgot what their legs are really for, the only time I missed work was when it snowed heavy and I wasn't going to walk to my place of work in Hathersage

My parents were not different it's what everyone did, they just got on with it.

Well said, people give up too easily,the same people who say they can't get into work will expect the people who work at their local shop to have got to work so they can get their bread, milk, paper.

It used to be called winter, with a bit of wind on Friday. Now it's The Beast From The East and Storm Emma.

Even though there's not much snow compared to winters of a couple of decades ago, there are many many more snowflakes.

No buses in Stannington due to roads not being gritted. 81 terminating in Malin Bridge. Walked to the nearest grit bin to get some grit for my road and it's empty so well done to the council again! Oh and they have also reduced the number of grit bins around here.

Listening to radio Sheffield there is a theme whereby not many gritters have been seen despite the woman from Amy on tv promising they were well prepared.

I do remember the winter of 1963 and harsh winters in the 70's when we just seemed to get on with things but then I do think we were more resilient.

I also recently saw a TV programme remembering Hannah Hauxwell that showed images of her surviving a winter in North Yorks in the snow where she had no electricity or running water what a woman!

Society has changed, we've moved on and I definitely think we've got softer

Possibly one of the most fatuous remarks I've read on an online forum for a long time.

How many people now work within walking distance of their home.

Quite a few people work locally, I'm glad you haven't read some thing like this for a long time.

Quite a few people work locally, I'm glad you haven't read some thing like this for a long time.

How far do you think someone should walk to work in situations like this?

I'm glad you haven't read some thing like this for a long time.

It's difficult to. There aren't that many people in the world that have that little knowledge. Be comfortable in your uniqueness.

Just an update - 7.15-7.30 Chesterfield Road and Dronfield Bypass were treacherous. Not sure what they are like now?

So, your parents walked to work in the snow.

You didn’t walk to work in the snow.

You expect the current generation to walk to work in the snow.

A well constructed argument, well done.

Wrong, if there was no transport I walked to and from work, on one occasion when heavy snow stopped all movement on the roads, my wife, my two children and myself walked to work in Ecclesfield, this was in the eighties and yes anyone who works within the city centre can walk to work and back if needed.

In my original post I said I would not walk the ten miles in the snow to Hathersage.

Yah, doesn't look good from my position overlooking Dronny bypass.

How far do you think someone should walk to work in situations like this?

To town and back, two or three miles.

It used to be called winter, with a bit of wind on Friday. Now it's The Beast From The East and Storm Emma.

Even though there's not much snow compared to winters of a couple of decades ago, there are many many more snowflakes.

Back in the 50s and perhaps the 60s, the wartime spirit still prevailed, plus the fact that there weren't as many cars. I can remember my mother pushing a pram (with me as a child sat on top) loaded with a sack of coke for the fire, through the snow, all the way from Neepsend Gas Works up to Lower Walkley. Nothing unusual at that time, but I wouldn't fancy doing it now!

I noticed on the news that the police advise you not to travel unless necessary.

Obviously driving 30 miles to their HQ is necessary as they're expecting all their staff in today.