Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Can the people who abandoned cars blocking the pavements around Crookes and Walkley get off your lazy backsides and move them to somewhere more suitable now that the roads are driveable.

There's no need for them to be left there anymore and people with prams are struggling enough up the pavements which still have snow without having to lift the pram over the pile of snow at the kerb edge and onto the road into traffic because you can't be bothered to retrieve your car from where you dumped it after you thought incorrectly that your little shopping cart was some kind of quad bike and that you could handle any weather conditions and stupidly tried spinning up the hills until you got stuck.

Thanks awfully

Shocking post. So prams rule all?

People were at risk and you're concerned about single parents pushing a small pram around. Speechless.

Shocking post. So prams rule all?

They've more right to be on the pavement than a car. Or maybe you'd like to see someone struggle and fall with a pram?

And who mentioned single parents? Poor attempt of trolling methinks.

They've more right to be on the pavement than a car. Or maybe you'd like to see someone struggle and fall with a pram?

And who mentioned single parents? Poor attempt of trolling methinks.

Oh okay so let's not worry about the motorists who are risking their life on the roads. Sorry but if somebody feels its appropriate to pull up and leave their car because they fear for their safety then I have no issue with it.

Oh okay so let's not worry about the motorists who are risking their life on the roads. Sorry but if somebody feels its appropriate to pull up and leave their car because they fear for their safety then I have no issue with it.

Did your attention span not last as far as

now that the roads are driveable?

There was reason for leaving the cars (although the sense of attempting to drive some of the hills can be called into question) but as a temporary measure until the roads cleared. Most main and "main side streets" are now clear enough, so there is no reason for the cars to remain abandoned in such a way to obstruct the pavement. Even if it is not possible to drive down some of the smaller side streets, it is now possible - and an obligation - to drive the car to a place where it is parked safely, legally and not causing obstruction.

It's also been raised with streets ahead and the parking services vehicles are perfectly capable of reaching to issue tickets where cars remain dumped within parking restrictions, so it would be wise for those people to return asap, not "when they can be arsed"

Edited by Squiggs

It is. The Dutch are more prepared than the Brits as well. I was rather astounded to find out that Sheffield had less gritting and plowing capability than my old (rural) council with 20,000 people in it. All comes down to cost/return analysis.

Can imagine the way the debate went: shall we buy more gritters for the occasional snowy day or shall we do up our offices and give ourselves pay rises? Lol! Vote labour and they’ll look after themselves!

Anyway, more snow tonight doesn’t sound that promising. My heatings not been off all week and the house is still frozen!

Did your attention span not last as far as

now that the roads are driveable?

There was reason for leaving the cars (although the sense of attempting to drive some of the hills can be called into question) but as a temporary measure until the roads cleared. Most main and "main side streets" are now clear enough, so there is no reason for the cars to remain abandoned in such a way to obstruct the pavement. Even if it is not possible to drive down some of the smaller side streets, it is now possible - and an obligation - to drive the car to a place where it is parked safely, legally and not causing obstruction.

It's also been raised with streets ahead and the parking services vehicles are perfectly capable of reaching to issue tickets where cars remain dumped within parking restrictions, so it would be wise for those people to return asap, not "when they can be arsed"

So you expect people to drop everything and go get their car back as soon as "Squiggs" deems the roads "driveable"? Okay.

Many who abandoned their cars had priorities to attend to. Work. Family. Hobbies. But crack the whip for them to hurry back to their car and move them because Emma has to push her pram around the streets and it's urgent.

So you expect people to drop everything and go get their car back as soon as "Squiggs" deems the roads "driveable"? Okay.

Many who abandoned their cars had priorities to attend to. Work. Family. Hobbies. But crack the whip for them to hurry back to their car and move them because Emma has to push her pram around the streets and it's urgent.

Yeah, people should absolutely honour that squash match or conversational Klingon for beginners class and not shift their cars! Far better that prams should go the road anyway - we can charge them road tax then. Sure it might make it harder for gritters, emergency vehicles etc, but you've had that squash court/Klingon class booked for months.

Deal with it snowflakes!

We all know why the cars were left there in the first place but once roads have improved they should be moved to allow the pavements to be used for what they are intended for .If not moved tow them away , crush them and make more prams

Parked cars are also blocking bus routes e.g. 95 in Walkley. Fully understand why people leave them on main roads but once snow has cleared they should move them.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Looked at met office weather website and bbc wether site but they are showing different weather conditions- which one should I go with?

Looked at met office weather website and bbc wether site but they are showing different weather conditions- which one should I go with?

We were on about this the other day,very confusing even just reading the BBC site.

However it is slowly getting warmer and most agree that its more occasional showers rather than the more persistent stuff we had previously.

Also fog is forecast which frequently occurs at the end of a cold snap.

Interesting the Star were scaremongering again last night with their own headline warning of overnight snow.

How much are people spending on heating in this kind of weather? I'm on about £2.50 a day on electric total until I get my gas uncapped so I can use the radiators and pack away my little electric (which is only good when you're less than 5cm away from it).