Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Just seen some photos from a friend in Wales. His road is under 4 foot of snow thanks to drifting...

Hello

We have icicles hanging from our roof at the front of the house. Any ideas how to get rid of them as they look v dangerous if fall on our head

Thanks

Chuck snowballs at them and they'll fall off - if/when you hit them.

Open upstairs window and knock them off with a brush ?

Hello

We have icicles hanging from our roof at the front of the house. Any ideas how to get rid of them as they look v dangerous if fall on our head

Thanks

Just leave them hanging and be aware of them. The chances of them dropping is slim - most icicles slowly melt and drip away. The chances of them dropping and someone being under them is less then 1 in a million and even then they won't actually hurt a lot.

---------- Post added 02-03-2018 at 10:47 ----------

This is interesting:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/958072934396039168.html

[it's about why Montreal doesn't grind to a halt when it snows]

It is. The Dutch are more prepared than the Brits as well. I was rather astounded to find out that Sheffield had less gritting and plowing capability than my old (rural) council with 20,000 people in it. All comes down to cost/return analysis.

Edited by tzijlstra

Settling down a good bit here in Dronfield main roads not bad at all and most main side roads are ok by the looks of it . Bin men got round ok , postman never stopped . All in all NE Derbyshire lads done a good job . Local town council not even turned in.

Think there'll be any snow left for sledging tomorrow morning? I was thinking the field on fox lane at basegreen or the park at woodhouse mill?

Think there'll be any snow left for sledging tomorrow morning? I was thinking the field on fox lane at basegreen or the park at woodhouse mill?

At the current rate of thaw I'd be surprised. Although allegedly there is some more on the way overnight.

Can the people who abandoned cars blocking the pavements around Crookes and Walkley get off your lazy backsides and move them to somewhere more suitable now that the roads are driveable.

There's no need for them to be left there anymore and people with prams are struggling enough up the pavements which still have snow without having to lift the pram over the pile of snow at the kerb edge and onto the road into traffic because you can't be bothered to retrieve your car from where you dumped it after you thought incorrectly that your little shopping cart was some kind of quad bike and that you could handle any weather conditions and stupidly tried spinning up the hills until you got stuck.

Thanks awfully