Winter weather thread 2017/2018

That tweet is just daft - why would it be a bad thing to keep access available to areas where work is being undertaken?

The stuck ambulance is just being used as a daft comparison.

The bad thing is the prioritisation of the profits of Amey over the smooth running of the rest of the city.

This council are becoming a disgrace with their Amey arse licking.

For years, I can remember the winter threads always having a heavy jokey/sarcastic slant, and were a brilliant, engaging and therapeutic read. Yes, some of the posts were very informative and helpful, which is great but the really important stuff always went in a sticky, so it didn't get missed.

I wanted to post on this thread very early this morning but was put off by the post saying the thread should be left for information purposes only. This has never been the case before, it seems quite a big change in policy that has existed for years on this forum. Sheffield people are sarcastic, it's part of the way of life here, and countless past threads are a beautiful testament to that. If we can't have a laugh about things in this thread and have to go to the 'joke' section to do that, then, seriously, it's spoiling what has been the nature of this forum for years. It certainly put me off posting hours ago. I'd have probably have made a dozen posts in this thread today by now, in previous years.

Agreed.

In times past I would spend two or three hours per evening browsing the forum. The wit and sarcasm was great entertainment.

These days I look in...and have gone again in less than ten minutes.

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

Just pointing out that just because things worked a certain way in the 70s or earlier when you were kids doesn't mean that those things were right or are how things should work now. It was getting very Four Yorkshiremen in here.

And to make my post vaguely on topic, the gritters have been out and about in Wincobank in the past few hours. At 10pm last night the roads (including Jenkin Road) were sheets of ice and snow. They now appear to be clear, even the side roads. Good job gritters!

And according to Travel South Yorkshire buses should be running up the hill and on those side roads again in the morning.

Edit: And 3 hours later the roads are covered again. Damn you snow!

Edited by Funky_Gibbon
update

Hi has anyone seen a 52 on Crooked today please? SY travel website keeps crashing ....

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 07:09 ----------

Crookes! Damn phone

UPDATED Bus services as at 8:32am

Sheffield and Rotherham

Supertram

Running full service, but with delays expected

First

1a Terminating at Olive Grove. Service to Greengate only

3/3a service running as a number 3, and terminating Montgomery Rd. Using Newman Rd in both directions

8/8a Missing Basegreen, operating Birley Moor Road in both directions. Terminating at ASDA Chaucer

18 Diverted directly along Chesterfield Road to terminate Abbey Lane Roundabout (Not serving Scarsdale Road, Hollythorpe or Heeley). Diverted due to burst water pipe – Norton Lane, Bochum Parkway, Chesterfield Road

18a Via Chesterfield Road not Woodseats Road

19 Diverted directly along Chesterfield Road to terminate Abbey Lane Roundabout (Not serving Scarsdale Road, Hollythorpe or Heeley)

20 Terminating at ASDA Chaucer. Diverted via Woodseats, terminating at Abbey Lane Roundabout.

24 Operating via Harborough Avenue, Harborough Road, Beaumont Road North, Castlebeck Avenue & Hastilar Road South. Not serving Manor Park Shops or Spinkhill Avenue.

27 Not serving Mason, Wesley Ave only

28 Not using Dog Kennel Lane, Via Todwick then A57

29/29a Terminate at Todwick

35 Missing Foxhill and Grenoside. Direct via Halifax Road to Deerlands Ave.

36 Not serving West Hill, operating Droppingwell Road & Farm View Road. Missing Jenkin and Beacon Estate. Running direct along Holywell

38 Not using Longley Hall Road

41 SERVICE SUSPENDED

51/51a RANMOOR terminus (not Lodge Moor or Crosspool). Terminating at Olive Grove.

52a NOT serving Balifield, straight down Beaver hill. Terminating at Ranmoor

56 SERVICE SUSPENDED

74/74a Not serving Waverley. Not serving Howarth Road estate.

75 Terminating at Firth Park.

76 Terminating at Firth park. Not serving the top of Bocking Lane. Diverted via Greenhill Avenue & Greenhill Main Road to Lowedges terminus.

81 Terminating Knowle Lane. Terminating Malin Bridge.

82 Terminating Knowle Lane. Terminating Malin Bridge.

83/83b Terminating Knowle Lane via Eccelsall Rd. Not using Firshill Crescent. Operating via Cooks Wood Road and Minna Road.

85 Operating Penistone Road only at Grenoside / Fox Hill. Service to Greengate Ln only.

95 SERVICE SUSPENDED

97 Terminating at Beauchief and turning at Abbey Lane roundabout. Not using Longley Hall Road. Using Burngreave Rd only not Ellesmere Road.

98 Terminating at Beauchief and turning at Abbey Lane roundabout. Not using Longley Hall Road. Divert from Southey to Hillsborough via Herries Road/Moonshine Lane. Using Burngreave Road not Ellesmere Road.

120 Not using Occupation Lane, via Birley Moor Rd, Sheffield Rd and Donetsk way. Later Halfway journeys expected to miss Streetfields and Halfway Drive. Terminating Ranmoor Church

136 Not serving Fosters. Greengate Ln only.

137 Diverted via Droppingwell Road and Farm View Road not serving West Hill.

141/142 Not serving Wagon Road or Nidderdale Road, instead diverted via Munsborough Rise & Roughwood Road.

181 Terminating Knowle Lane

271/272 Terminating at Fox House

X5/X55/216 Not service Dog Kennel Lane, Via Todwick A57

X54 Not serving Hard Lane, Harthill. Terminate Todwick. Not serving Holderness drive, Wesley Ave only

Stagecoach

1 Not using Batemoor Loop, not serving Worral Rd (using School Rd)

2 Not using Worsbough Village

19 Main roads only

25 Using Nodder and Terminate At Lowedges

43 Main roads only

44 SERVICES SUSPENDED

50/50A/50B SERVICES SUSPENDED

52 Only Going To Bromhill. Not Using Badger Station Road Both Directions

57 Not serving Worral, Manchester Rd only

70/70a SERVICES SUSPENDED

71/72 SERVICES SUSPENDED

83a Not using Firs Hill, and terminating at Hunters Bar

86 Not using Fox Hill Crest /using Foxhill Rd, Not Serving Bevan Way, using Halifax road

88 Terminating at Knowle lane ,Not Serving Bents Green

120 Not Serving Windmill Greenway Or Streetfields

SL1/1a Manchester Rd only

X17 Sheffield Chesterfield only

SCT

H1 Full route

10 Attempting full route - TBC

31/31a City centre to Hillsbrough via Upperthorpe, Fox Rd, Whitehouse Ln, Palm St, Walkley Rd/Ln.

High Peak

65 SERVICE SUSPENDED

Powell's

ALL SERVICEs SUSPENDED

TM Travel

ALL SERVICEs SUSPENDED

Hulley's

ALL SERVICEs SUSPENDED

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

Thanks....better set off walking!

I am well and truly snowed in out here in S36.No work for me today.:banana:

Guest makapaka
The bad thing is the prioritisation of the profits of Amey over the smooth running of the rest of the city.

This council are becoming a disgrace with their Amey arse licking.

If they had not done it there would be a thread saying they were delaying works to obtain these imaginary penalties people keep talking about.

Assuming the pictures were taken at the same time, it was most likely that they knew where they were working but didn’t know an ambulance would be on thornsett avenue - possibly because they’re not psychic.

White out in Dronfield side roads are no go at moment but the main roads not as bad .Main side roads were ploughed yesterday so not as deep today . Looking out of my window looks like most people have either walked to work or not gone in , all cars still on drives . Grandkids off school and college again so another day sledging

Edited by parkydave

White out in Dronfield side roads are no go at moment but the main roads not as bad .Main side roads were ploughed yesterday so not as deep today . Looking out of my window looks like most people have either walked to work or not gone in , all cars still on drives . Grandkids off school and college again so another day sledging

My colleagues in Chesterfield notify me that it is pretty bad out there. The gritters have been plowing (like you said) but that causes problems with ice build-up. All buses in Chesterfield were/are cancelled this morning.

Thanks Funky_Gibbon - very helpful

That tweet is just daft - why would it be a bad thing to keep access available to areas where work is being undertaken?

The stuck ambulance is just being used as a daft comparison.

The issue is obvious. Thornsett is not a gritting route. Given Amey's failure to grit many secondary routes and keep access to all of Sheffield's work places why should priority be given to only the places they need to get. It's like if I was in control of gritting and decided to grit my own road so I could get home easily.