Winter weather thread 2017/2018

The posing git who lives at number 15 went down like a sack of potatos

Funny to see him limping back into house

Made my day :hihi:

I actually laughed out loud at that :hihi: and then laughed at the posters who thought you were serious about your posts :hihi:

Probably scared of being sued if someone slips where they have cleared and the no win no fee vultures get on the case.

its o dangerous people clearing snow its a pet hate one time someone cleared our entrance of the flats and chucked water on it

Delighted to see that my road's pretty clear and hopefully what there is will soon be gone!

round our way the main roads are fine, the hilly side roads are sheets of black ice. The pavement is easier to walk on as its just frozen snow. Trudging off to the grit bin.

its o dangerous people clearing snow its a pet hate one time someone cleared our entrance of the flats and chucked water on it

Exactly, if its not done properly its much worse than doing nothing at all. Woke up one morning to discover someone had cleared snow off the pavement outside my house and left a thin invisible film of solid ice instead (they used hot water which did melt the snow, and then it all froze up).

Probably scared of being sued if someone slips where they have cleared and the no win no fee vultures get on the case.

Urban myth. No private individual has ever been successfully sued in this country for clearing paths.

Some companies have been sued for leaving carparks in a dangerous state after clearing the snow

This is the article which the myth is based on:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/6958131/Health-and-safety-experts-warn-dont-clear-icy-pavements-you-could-get-sued.html

Legal experts said home owners could fall victim to the same laws if they tried to clear an icy path but failed to do the job properly. John McQuater, president of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, admitted: “If you do nothing you cannot be liable. If you do something, you could be liable to a legal action.”

Amey are out in force in S8 area resurfacing a road !

SCC can't grit this area but Amey can resurface the snow and ice covered roads :o

P.s., - Amey's have been forced to resurface said road - there has been a problem with standing water since their last attempt which has caused a problem with sheet ice over the past few weeks.

Edited by Daven

People also have a responsibility for their own safety while walking along a pavement no matter what's been done to it or not. It is reasonable to assume that pavements may be icy when it's freezing. It doesn't stop people clearing snow.

These resurfaced pavements can be a bit tricky but I'm still clearing the stretch around my home.

There's always an excuse for you to do nothing to help anyone else isn't there?

The culture of pc madness is great for you as it gives you something to hide behind.

Just cleared path in front of my house , went to shops and cheeky bugger from end of road parked where I have cleared