Ashes 2017/18..

Aus to win by an innings. We're all over the place.

I know we weren't exactly brilliant in the last test and we bottled the opportunity in the second innings...however I am taking the positive from it, mainly in the bowling depart.

This wicket might just throw up some confidence boosting totals for a couple of our batsmen with a bit of luck.

At 2-0 down it's time for a couple of players to stand out a bit and give us some cause to be optimistic. A draw wouldn't be a terrible score but a win at the Waca would ruffle a few feathers.

I know we weren't exactly brilliant in the last test and we bottled the opportunity in the second innings...however I am taking the positive from it, mainly in the bowling depart.

This wicket might just throw up some confidence boosting totals for a couple of our batsmen with a bit of luck.

At 2-0 down it's time for a couple of players to stand out a bit and give us some cause to be optimistic. A draw wouldn't be a terrible score but a win at the Waca would ruffle a few feathers.

A draw with the current lineup would be equal to Sheff Utd drawing with Man City, not impossible but unlikely. They've got an extra yard of pace on what is still a fast(ish) pitch and we are ******* about chucking pints over each other. We aren't going to get much in the way of lateral movement - there were murmers we were going to draft in the young leg spinner crane. That's not a vote of confidence to our current bowling lineup (who haven't been bad in parts). The batting will fall apart very quickly.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm rather looking forward to the ODIs.

A draw with the current lineup would be equal to Sheff Utd drawing with Man City, not impossible but unlikely. They've got an extra yard of pace on what is still a fast(ish) pitch and we are ******* about chucking pints over each other. We aren't going to get much in the way of lateral movement - there were murmers we were going to draft in the young leg spinner crane. That's not a vote of confidence to our current bowling lineup (who haven't been bad in parts). The batting will fall apart very quickly.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm rather looking forward to the ODIs.

I quietly fancy us here to get a total anyway. Wicket looks well and in bat first, hopefully take advantage of it fingers crossed. Not losing the early wicket would be a start!

Steady opening partnerahip and a solid first day please chaps.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 02:57 ----------

Well that shows me for getting excited! I actually thought both openers started out looking very assured...And then boom, starc throws a fast one and cook walks AGAIN.

Nearly 70 runs from 5 innings from and opener....ouch!

Fingers crossed the rest steady the ship and hit some runs now...

Edited by sheffstats

Cook has got to be looked at let us down again. Batting fell apart 175 for 4 at tea these two have got to stay in today. Know the beer incident was trivial but need to get brains in order. Acting like young kids on the **** not sportsmen losing 2 ,0 in the ashes. But come on England give us a bit of hope.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 07:38 ----------

Just been reading about investigation of bet fixing in this test. I have tried to put a bet on cook not to get a double figure average in this series but could only get odds on.

Cook being very poor. We don't really have an alternative though - English batting order is looking extremely void of talent coming through. Where is the big name to stand up since Joe Root?

Cook being very poor. We don't really have an alternative though - English batting order is looking extremely void of talent coming through. Where is the big name to stand up since Joe Root?

This is the problem, we've tried most of them already. Stoneman is 30 I believe. There's not much test class anything coming through.

Well played Malan though. I have two concerns, firstly we could quite conceivably get bundled out for 350 tomorrow - it's not like we don't have form in that. Secondly, our batters who have got out have been done for pace - not lateral movement or even stupid shots. We ain't got pace and it's going to be hard getting movement off that pitch with a kookaburra ball.

But, a good - and unexpected - start.

Don't forget the Ashes script,last 6 wickets go down for 50,and at least one batsman is out in the first over 'without adding to his overnight score':hihi:

Yes an unexpected start , If only we can build on it tomorrow, put a bit of pressure on the Aussies . Could make for an interesting :rolleyes:

Yes an unexpected start , If only we can build on it tomorrow, put a bit of pressure on the Aussies . Could make for an interesting :rolleyes:

Depends what you mean by unexpected really?

This was always going to be the sort of wicket that a good set of batsmen would go out and get a decent total on. Both wanted to win the toss because the ground isn't what it has always been historically and has been producing 400+ totals for the last couple of years.

The we have the bold above..... I guess this is where the unexpected bit comes from? Too many scratchy performances in the first couple of tests with a heavy mix of nerves thrown in.

Today however they played on the front foot with plenty of confidence about them, the shot selection as a whole was a hell of a lot better....and all in all, they just seem to be getting it right.

I don't think i'm overly shocked by the batting performance...I think we have shown enough in the first two tests to give optimism that players can score runs. Bairstow for me should be coming in earlier anyway......

Just need to resist the temptation to play any silly shots early doors in the morning and we might well be heading to a 400+ total....

The panic then starts with our bowlers!...Hopefully they will deliver the length after a wake up call in last test...The wicket plays well and ineffective bowling will be punished.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 15:09 ----------

Also....Am I the only one who is fed up of hearing Vaughan write us off every 2 minutes? His negativity is doing me in.

The pitches in Oz are way faster than anything we play on,even if the waccas not what it was,its still got pace and bounce.

The trick is to tire the bowlers,let the new ball get a little softer and play selectively,dont give them anything,just put away the odd bad ball and they will tire,the heat in perth is unrelenting,then midway through the afternoon you start to play a few shots and get on top.

Does anybody know how/why the Aussie quicks are bowling about 10 kph faster at the WACA than they were at the Gabba and Adelaide? Given the notoriously quick pitches, I could understand it if the speed was measured after the ball has bounced, or averaged over the 22 yards, but as far as I'm aware it's measured out of the bowler's hand.

Or if the air was thinner at Perth, that might have an effect. But it isn't, Perth is pretty much at sea level.

Maybe just motivation, knowing the pitch will be helpful? Striving for pace rather than swing?

Does anybody know how/why the Aussie quicks are bowling about 10 kph faster at the WACA than they were at the Gabba and Adelaide? Given the notoriously quick pitches, I could understand it if the speed was measured after the ball has bounced, or averaged over the 22 yards, but as far as I'm aware it's measured out of the bowler's hand.

Or if the air was thinner at Perth, that might have an effect. But it isn't, Perth is pretty much at sea level.

Maybe just motivation, knowing the pitch will be helpful? Striving for pace rather than swing?

Is it not measured from leaving the bowlers hand, to the point of impact?

When they tried to explain the Waca pitch in the build up to the test, they explained that the Waca has the highest clay content of all of the Australian pitches. Once the clay heats in the baking sun, the particles stick together and bake.

With this in mind the makes less contact with the pitch itself, therefore it absorbs less of the energy put into the ball by the bowler. The simple science behind it all is apparently that the additional pace is down to.....A lesser resistance of friction of the pitch and off the surface of the ball.

Of course the pitch has been dug up a few times over the last decade or so and the Aussies played down the pace a bit....But never the less it is still said to have a high clay content of around 40%, this clay then bakes in up to 40c heat for large spells of the year.....Making it formidable.