Ashes 2017/18..

think we will bat all day get 300 in front and ball them out for 280ish win for england .:roll::confused:

---------- Post added 25-11-2017 at 19:34 ----------

may be or may be not

think we will bat all day get 300 in front and ball them out for 280ish win for england .:roll::confused:

---------- Post added 25-11-2017 at 19:34 ----------

may be or may be not

I like your optimism ;)

We collapse regularly - home and away, but particularly against conditions that are alien to us i.e. quick bouncy pitches or lots of spin like India and even Bangladesh.

The Aussies are already roughing the batsmen up, a few batters over both innings have obliged and hooked the ball to a waiting fielder, there will be more of that, or the double bluff of edging a wide one or dragging on a wide one to try and relieve the pressure. Those Aussie quicks are no mugs, neither is Lyon - he's actually developed into a decent spinner. And, as I might have mentioned before - we don't bat long, unless we have someone like cook is in and set. That said, stoneman has batted quite well, as did Vince first innings. Need a captains innings from root to have half a chance.

I think the match hinges on root if he can hold it together we can do it but you are correct they have started roughing batsmen up next to last over four short balls at pace .

Go on then, educate me.

Erm, take up astrology.

Erm, take up astrology.

So you just want to have a pop then, no thoughts on the match or the series. Stick with the I'm bored section mate if I were you.

Oh dear at least we have taken it to the last day ,just. Away from home soft underbelly showing through . Hope this is not going to be a whitewash again.

Oh dear at least we have taken it to the last day ,just. Away from home soft underbelly showing through . Hope this is not going to be a whitewash again.

It looks that way,average batsmen at the best and nothing in the squad to come in,Ballance isn't an option but hey he could prove me wrong.

So you just want to have a pop then, no thoughts on the match or the series. Stick with the I'm bored section mate if I were you.

Surely your opening post was"nt mean"t to be taken seriously. I thought it was quite humorous. 5 0 to the aussies your 20% there.

It looks that way,average batsmen at the best and nothing in the squad to come in,Ballance isn't an option but hey he could prove me wrong.

I think you're dead right - the batting simply isn't there. Stoneman, Vince, Malan are solid county pros no doubt but they are being asked tougher questions and they don't really know what to do. They aren't being helped by senior players falling for traps telegraphed by the Aussies and giving their wickets away. The bowling isn't up to much either - mo Ali isn't a patch on Lyon and nowhere near Swann. Ball might develope into something, woakes I think is still feeling his way back from injury, and if any of those 3 get injured (or god forbid Anderson or broad) we could be looking at an attack with mason crane (who?exactly!) and curran (who? Exactly!) as first changes.

Yes we're missing stokes, yes I think we're missing wood but we aren't playing pointing, Haydn Warne and McGrath in their pomp, we're playing an Aussie side whose batting line up is as filled with just as many holes as ours is. Yes, they'll come accross in a couple of years and with a duke ball and leaden sky's we'll probably roll them over three times out of five. In aus, under blue skies and a kookaburra ball, 5-0 all day long.

Yes, we need some big innings from Cook, Root and Bairstow to win tests over there. Starc and Cummings look very quick for Australia and Lyon is bowling well.

I'm a bit worried about Jimmy Anderson. He's been injured recently and he's coming to the back end of his career. Fingers crossed he makes it through the tour.

Yes some good points given on here but we have got to get the openers to contribute to a good start cook has gone cheaply both innings to very poor shot selection . This poor start then puts pressure on 3rd bat . Like its been said this is not a great aussie side by any means but when its been needed they have stood up to the mark with a bit of bottle . Come on England man up a bit and don't be bullied .Can't face another whitewash

Edited by parkydave

I think you might be being unduly pessimistic. I'd say the match was fairly evenly balanced until the very marginal dismissal of Moeen, though it's obviously run away from us now. Remember it's nearly 30 years since anybody has beaten the Aussies at the Gabbatoir.

Sure there are lacunae in both batting and bowling, but that's true of Australia too. Steve Smith might be ranked no.1 batsman, but Joe Root is no.2. Though I do agree that we could do with a decent spinner. [speaking of which, Australia have a promising young leggie in Mitch Swepson, maybe watch out for him 1 or 2 Ashes series down the line.]

I'm always pessimistic ;)

You make a fair point on root. Do you think he should have been captain? I caught a snippet from graham swann on 5live on how he should have been left to get on with his batting. I disagree - it's clearly not doing smith, kohli (scored a double today) or Kane Williams any harm. Is it an English thing when the captains form drops?

If we can bag 3 or 4 easy wickets this morning it might set us up for Adelaide a bit better.