Ashes 2017/18..

Cook being very poor. We don't really have an alternative though - English batting order is looking extremely void of talent coming through. Where is the big name to stand up since Joe Root?

Cook being very poor. We don't really have an alternative though - English batting order is looking extremely void of talent coming through. Where is the big name to stand up since Joe Root?

This is the problem, we've tried most of them already. Stoneman is 30 I believe. There's not much test class anything coming through.

Well played Malan though. I have two concerns, firstly we could quite conceivably get bundled out for 350 tomorrow - it's not like we don't have form in that. Secondly, our batters who have got out have been done for pace - not lateral movement or even stupid shots. We ain't got pace and it's going to be hard getting movement off that pitch with a kookaburra ball.

But, a good - and unexpected - start.

Don't forget the Ashes script,last 6 wickets go down for 50,and at least one batsman is out in the first over 'without adding to his overnight score':hihi:

Yes an unexpected start , If only we can build on it tomorrow, put a bit of pressure on the Aussies . Could make for an interesting :rolleyes:

Yes an unexpected start , If only we can build on it tomorrow, put a bit of pressure on the Aussies . Could make for an interesting :rolleyes:

Depends what you mean by unexpected really?

This was always going to be the sort of wicket that a good set of batsmen would go out and get a decent total on. Both wanted to win the toss because the ground isn't what it has always been historically and has been producing 400+ totals for the last couple of years.

The we have the bold above..... I guess this is where the unexpected bit comes from? Too many scratchy performances in the first couple of tests with a heavy mix of nerves thrown in.

Today however they played on the front foot with plenty of confidence about them, the shot selection as a whole was a hell of a lot better....and all in all, they just seem to be getting it right.

I don't think i'm overly shocked by the batting performance...I think we have shown enough in the first two tests to give optimism that players can score runs. Bairstow for me should be coming in earlier anyway......

Just need to resist the temptation to play any silly shots early doors in the morning and we might well be heading to a 400+ total....

The panic then starts with our bowlers!...Hopefully they will deliver the length after a wake up call in last test...The wicket plays well and ineffective bowling will be punished.

---------- Post added 14-12-2017 at 15:09 ----------

Also....Am I the only one who is fed up of hearing Vaughan write us off every 2 minutes? His negativity is doing me in.

The pitches in Oz are way faster than anything we play on,even if the waccas not what it was,its still got pace and bounce.

The trick is to tire the bowlers,let the new ball get a little softer and play selectively,dont give them anything,just put away the odd bad ball and they will tire,the heat in perth is unrelenting,then midway through the afternoon you start to play a few shots and get on top.

Does anybody know how/why the Aussie quicks are bowling about 10 kph faster at the WACA than they were at the Gabba and Adelaide? Given the notoriously quick pitches, I could understand it if the speed was measured after the ball has bounced, or averaged over the 22 yards, but as far as I'm aware it's measured out of the bowler's hand.

Or if the air was thinner at Perth, that might have an effect. But it isn't, Perth is pretty much at sea level.

Maybe just motivation, knowing the pitch will be helpful? Striving for pace rather than swing?

Is it not measured from leaving the bowlers hand, to the point of impact?

When they tried to explain the Waca pitch in the build up to the test, they explained that the Waca has the highest clay content of all of the Australian pitches. Once the clay heats in the baking sun, the particles stick together and bake.

With this in mind the makes less contact with the pitch itself, therefore it absorbs less of the energy put into the ball by the bowler. The simple science behind it all is apparently that the additional pace is down to.....A lesser resistance of friction of the pitch and off the surface of the ball.

Of course the pitch has been dug up a few times over the last decade or so and the Aussies played down the pace a bit....But never the less it is still said to have a high clay content of around 40%, this clay then bakes in up to 40c heat for large spells of the year.....Making it formidable.

Not too bad at least we are still in the game . Thought our last batsmen should have put up a bit more of a performance . Smith is a pain could do with his wicket . Can see them going on to make a good score our second innings needs to be solid through the order . Not like some of the games where we just fold up but feeling a bit upbeat on a draw at least to keep the ashes alive

Another 10 wickets win it is then.

Another 10 wickets win it is then.

If we have learnt anything 5 innings in, it is that supposedly "experienced" lads are letting the side down big time.

Batting wise, Cook with his 69 runs or whatever it is in 5 innings....and then from Moeen Ali down the order last night! Say what you want about lower order batsmen / tailenders, for me...they are first class cricketers, representing the country at the highest possible level! They should be able to hold their own and should be able to find double figures with the bat!

A gutsy performance from those last few batsmen would have brought up a 470 total.

I say it again, this is a batting wicket! Australia got us out at the right time and with little movement in the ball, our bowlers are ineffective and they will struggle! The days of reliable Jimmy and Broad are well gone, both are sporadic at best...but mainly just impotent!

If we allow yourselves to throw away the advantage through ineffective bowling, then a good few players need to be ashamed of themselves.

After this test we need a good reshuffle! Cook, Moeen, Broad, Anderson can all go for me. Fed up of watching boring, ineffective, impotent cricket.

Quite possible wouldn't rule it out:(

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 13:55 ----------

yes disappointing last half of batting , 470 ish should have been comfortable

Vaughan has said all along that the last few wickets will get blasted for nothing,while the Aussies will hang around and make decent runs in partnerships with one of the earlier batsmen.My prediction,they get 500 +,and we struggle to make them bat again.