The EU and the Irish Border.

The DUP are a Unionist Party and don't want a United Ireland. The proposed arrangements put forward by the Irish Government makes the prospect of a United Ireland in the future greater.

They already have the border they want,the wording in the deal said that nothing would change after Brexit,so how can the DUP have what they have now and be happy,and nothing to change,but then they are not happy?

Sweden and Norway seem to have sorted a similar problem with borders out. We aren't the first to have this problem. It's not insurmountable.

And the DUP scupper the deal.:hihi:

Who saw that coming? Oh yeah, EVERYONE.

I think May needs to grow a pair and tell the DUP they aren't getting a penny of that billion she's promised unless they come to heal.

Sweden and Norway seem to have sorted a similar problem with borders out. We aren't the first to have this problem. It's not insurmountable.

I think Norway have agreed to free movement of people, which the UK Government can't really agree to because the UK democratically voted to leave the EU.

So NI joins the European Economic Area and allows free movement and has tariff free trade on NI Produced goods and EU goods in both directions over the border?

thing is Sweden and Norway may share a border, but they are two countries, NI / Ireland cant really be seen as the same, as its one country split, a lot more complicated politically

Yes, I'm afraid you (the UK) are.

Because the UK is the first EU member state to exit the EU, moreover wanting to become a third party country (no SM, no CU).

It's that wish to become a third party country which causes the border problem, not the exit from the EU as such.

That's how and why the problem with borders in Ireland is not similar to any of the other EU, EEA, and EFTA member states (Sweden, Norway, Lichtenstein, Switzerland <etc.>) and why the EU is willing to put a Canada-like deal on the table but no more.

As a Leaver, you're getting exactly what you asked for. Get over it ;)

Yes, I'm afraid you (the UK) are.

Because the UK is the first EU member state to exit the EU, moreover wanting to become a third party country (no SM, no CU).

It's that wish to become a third party country which causes the border problem, not the exit from the EU as such.

That's how and why the problem with borders in Ireland is not similar to any of the other EU, EEA, and EFTA member states (Sweden, Norway, Lichtenstein, Switzerland <etc.>) and why the EU is willing to put a Canada-like deal on the table but no more.

As a Leaver, you're getting exactly what you asked for. Get over it ;)

Having seen the way the EU has behaved, the general corruption, its carefree spending of other people's money, the lack of democratic accountability and the mess the EU is in all over the Europe, I would vote the same way again. We will be better off out of it.

You are free to disagree.

What a ridiculous summary, one which whitewashes the serious problem Norwegian industry has and totally misrepresents the political situation where 90% + of EU laws are passed in their parliament.

Norway (and Iceland and Switzerland) are all desperate to have customs free deals with the EU.

The price they pay is Schengen and no say whatsover in the EU legislation that effects them.

Norway has a glut of exportable energy and an over emotional tie with fishing which gives affects how people vote on EU membership. Switzeland cannot join because of their constitution.

Having seen the way the EU has behaved, the general corruption, its carefree spending of other people's money, the lack of democratic accountability and the mess the EU is in all over the Europe, I would vote the same way again. We will be better off out of it.

You are free to disagree.

Don't mind if I do, considering the same sentence could be written verbatim about the UK government ;)

Now then, about those borders...

Don't mind if I do, considering the same sentence could be written verbatim about the UK government ;)

Now then, about those borders...

Wow - we agree about the government. It's a start.

As for the borders, I don't have a solution, it's above my pay grade, (although I would like to see a united Ireland, but when you're in a hole it's best to stop digging.)