Manchester commute

As above, cycling to the station sounds like it's worth a go...

The trains Sheffield to Manchester are often packed, but I'm usually able to get a seat when I go on occasion. I have seen a crush on the platform in Sheffield on a Friday evening going to Manchester. It's not a journey I would recommend.

Good luck commuting via train to Manchester.

Last time I was on train back from Manchester (actually Liverpool to Nottingham train), it pulled up at Bamford station - well just past but with only last passenger door at platform. Everyone was told they had to leave the train via the one passenger door and make their own way from there. Apparently a train had broken down nearer to Sheffield and they had to reverse into sidings but could not do that with any passengers on board, so every one off.

Although the guard was in contact with control there was no information as to when the line would be cleared and no information as to what the passengers could do other than 'do as you have been told and get off the train' and 'try catching a local bus'. No alternate transport was offered or arranged.

This situation would have been bad enough in the summer but this was mid February after 18:00 and it had started snowing.

In the following days, at first no apology or compensation was offered but after adverse publicity on TV and local press a grudging apology was issued and along with a travel voucher to be used for travel on their train.

Well I certainly found a good use for that and have never travelled on that line since. :rant::rant::rant:

It does but I think it could be manageable - the office operates flexible working so probably looking at getting the train about 7:30. Worried that tram may add a bit longer to the journey.

If your wife can drop you near Hillsborough Corner the tram takes just under 20 minutes to the station - you might be pushed to do it by car in that time - and it would certainly be a much quicker and less stressful journey for your wife.

Drive to Glossop, park on-street near station, which is free. Trains are every 20 mins at peak times and you always get a seat as it terminates at Glossop. Takes about 35 mins to Piccadilly. You just have to accept that very occasionally you might get stuck in Manchester, like if it snows heavily.

Lad I know does this, and living at Fox Hill if the OP drives he could be in Glossop in 40 minutes. Although lad I know doesn’t park at Glossop, he parks at the next stop after which I can’t remember the name.

I worked in M'cr for 18 months and used to drive to Dore station from Walkley. I'd recommend you get a Kindle or similar rather than take a book. Reason being, there's a lot of crushed standing and it's easier to turn the pages.

Lad I know does this, and living at Fox Hill if the OP drives he could be in Glossop in 40 minutes. Although lad I know doesn’t park at Glossop, he parks at the next stop after which I can’t remember the name.

That would be Dinting. There's a park and ride car park there.

---------- Post added 21-11-2017 at 12:32 ----------

Dealing with Snake or Woodhead on a daily basis??

Personally, i'd rather stand on a train all the way from Sheffield than have to do that.

I did it for a couple of years on the Snake. It's generally thought of as one of the best driving roads in the country.

I can think of many worse starts to the working day than a drive through beautiful countryside followed by half an hour on the train reading a good book!

Another pleasant route across (except in snow) is Hope Valley, Winnats Pass and Rushup Edge, park at New Mills: 2 stations, 5 trains an hour to Manchester at peak times.

Terrible train service, never enough carriages on and why they use those trains with so little luggage space for people travelling to Manchester Airport is beyond me. I have to do the journey a couple of times a month and, much as I like train travel usually, always dread this journey. Severe health and safety issues sometimes in my opinion.

Terrible train service, never enough carriages on and why they use those trains with so little luggage space for people travelling to Manchester Airport is beyond me. I have to do the journey a couple of times a month and, much as I like train travel usually, always dread this journey. Severe health and safety issues sometimes in my opinion.

No good now but TransPennine Express trains for Manchester Airport are all supposed to be 6 coaches from autumn 2018. Monday-Thursday the train that stops at Dore at 7.14 is normally 6 coaches. East Midlands trains bound for Liverpool are supposed to be 4 coaches but far too often are only 2.

Passenger numbers on this route have possibly quadrupled in the last 20 years but the number of carriages employed has nowhere near matched that increased demand.

there's also a super fast virgin train from sheffield to manchester once an hour and its only 40 minutes. Can be a bit packed but buy a ticket with a reserved seat makes it a more comfortable journey. Sorry can't remember the train times there/back