Road tax On line

I was in Sheffield just recently visiting a business near the train station and noticed several cars nearby all had big yellow stickers on their windscreens and were clamped. On closer inspection this was because they weren't taxed, interestingly they were all expensive Audi's and BMW's - I did wonder if they were all owned by the same person/business...

Also strangely enough, I bought my car mid-November last year and assumed the tax would be due soon and I'd get a reminder letter. I also thought the MOT would need redoing. To confirm the expiry dates I checked online last week and found out I'd forgotten the car had been MOT'd last April so that wasn't urgent at all.

But also the tax had run out at the beginning of the month! I quickly paid it online (which was backdated) and set up future automated payments so it wouldn't run out again - just so glad I checked when I did!

At least with the old style discs it was a lot easier to keep an eye on when it ran out.

When you buy a car you must tax it before driving it away. There is now no carry over of tax from a prior owner. So, tax will become due on the first of the month of purchase in following years.

If people can't keep on top of tax, MOT and insurance renewals without having to be told about it, they shouldn't be driving. If they find that hard, what else do they neglect on their vehicles that are important?

dont know but it sure beats going to the post office with all your MOT papers etc

This, times a million.

No need to rush down to the Post Office on a half-day-opening weekend with armfuls of paper anymore, queuing behind a thousand other people wanting to send dozens of parcels to Outer Zanzibar or Prussian Siam by the cheapest possible method (horse and cart, as it turns out).

I was in Sheffield just recently visiting a business near the train station and noticed several cars nearby all had big yellow stickers on their windscreens and were clamped. On closer inspection this was because they weren't taxed, interestingly they were all expensive Audi's and BMW's - I did wonder if they were all owned by the same person/business...

Also strangely enough, I bought my car mid-November last year and assumed the tax would be due soon and I'd get a reminder letter. I also thought the MOT would need redoing. To confirm the expiry dates I checked online last week and found out I'd forgotten the car had been MOT'd last April so that wasn't urgent at all.

But also the tax had run out at the beginning of the month! I quickly paid it online (which was backdated) and set up future automated payments so it wouldn't run out again - just so glad I checked when I did!

At least with the old style discs it was a lot easier to keep an eye on when it ran out.

you do get reminders, well I do!

Edited by phil752

It all depends on how many ANPR cameras there are to catch the untaxed cars being used.

Here's the news story:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/101368/government-loses-up-to-107million-as-750000-vehicles-go-untaxed

I don't really see though how you could get away with no tax unless you are also driving with no MOT or insurance,or do they not even bother to cross check, I don't know ?

DVLA send you a reminder every time you need to tax your car, no excuse saying you forgot?

They do but as they give you plenty of warning it tends to get put to one side. I was driving without tax until the "final" reminder came through the letterbox yesterday.

They do but as they give you plenty of warning it tends to get put to one side. I was driving without tax until the "final" reminder came through the letterbox yesterday.

Yes i agree, but if you just had the tax disc on your car window to remind you without a reminder from the DVLA would that be better?

Yes i agree, but if you just had the tax disc on your car window to remind you without a reminder from the DVLA would that be better?

How's about putting a little note in a plastic holder in the corner of the windscreen with the date the car was bought, simples :thumbsup:

I find the online car tax excellent.

As for remembering when... Google calendar linked from my Android phone to Windows and iPhone.

Best way overall IMO would be to add the tax to fuel but that's another topic that's been covered before.

How's about putting a little note in a plastic holder in the corner of the windscreen with the date the car was bought, simples :thumbsup:

Good idea i used to have another little note on the dash reminding me to look at my little note in a plastic holder in the corner of the windscreen:hihi:

Even better is to pay monthly by direct debit.

No need to remember at all.