Road tax On line

I wonder who came up with this good idea to save money.:huh:

dont know but it sure beats going to the post office with all your MOT papers etc

Best thing they ever did , used to be a pain now two minutes and done. Still prefer paper tax disc though.

I wonder who came up with this good idea to save money.:huh:

I love it. I can't be bothered to work out where my MOT certificate is, to print my insurance etc and take it to a post office. Click online and it's done. Can't fault that.

Best thing they ever did , used to be a pain now two minutes and done. Still prefer paper tax disc though.

There was an item on yesterday's news about a large increase in the number of untaxed cars since the demise of the paper tax disc. Now, does anyone know how that's possible when they say, that now it's on line we know instantly if a vehicle is untaxed ?

I was in Sheffield just recently visiting a business near the train station and noticed several cars nearby all had big yellow stickers on their windscreens and were clamped. On closer inspection this was because they weren't taxed, interestingly they were all expensive Audi's and BMW's - I did wonder if they were all owned by the same person/business...

Also strangely enough, I bought my car mid-November last year and assumed the tax would be due soon and I'd get a reminder letter. I also thought the MOT would need redoing. To confirm the expiry dates I checked online last week and found out I'd forgotten the car had been MOT'd last April so that wasn't urgent at all.

But also the tax had run out at the beginning of the month! I quickly paid it online (which was backdated) and set up future automated payments so it wouldn't run out again - just so glad I checked when I did!

At least with the old style discs it was a lot easier to keep an eye on when it ran out.

DVLA send you a reminder every time you need to tax your car, no excuse saying you forgot?

DVLA send you a reminder every time you need to tax your car, no excuse saying you forgot?

Useful, but not foolproof, I've had a couple go missing.

The DVLA also now do a reminder service for MOTs. https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder

There are various apps and stuff you can use to keep track of those important dates.

I agree though the paper disc was a very in your face reminder, something you'd see every time you got in the car.

The new system is fine though, I have no complaints.

I think the OP's point was just how much revenue the government have lost as a result of people not paying VED since introducing the change - over £100 million a year.

I think the OP's point was just how much revenue the government have lost as a result of people not paying VED since introducing the change - over £100 million a year.

Doing away with tax discs was supposed to save £10 million so the DVLA is only £90 million down.