Alcohol, Minimum Unit Pricing.

Yes, it raises the possibility of booze cruises from Edinburgh to Berwick-on-Tweed.

The Aldi in Carlisle will do a roaring trade.

On a more serious note, I'm not entirely comfortable with politicians deciding that the way to make us healthier and better people is to make us pay more for something. If pricing per unit for alcohol comes in, why not pricing per calorie on chocolate? Or fat? We are told that we are in the middle of an obesity crisis, after all.

Sorry, I don't like this. For all the "it won't affect the price of a good bottle of wine or a pint in a pub" - maybe not yet it won't but the principle has been established, that it is perfectly acceptable to artificially inflate the price of a commodity "for our own good".

I don't agree the intention is to 'to make us healthier and better people' it's as simple as to try and stop people dying from alcohol abuse.

An average of 22 people a week died from alcohol-related causes in Scotland in 2015, figures show.

The figure is 54% higher than in England and Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40347942

It appears that education hasn't worked and some people continue to drink themselves to death.

I don't think they had any other alternative than to introduce minimum unit pricing.

Edited by SnailyBoy

Sorry, I don't like this. For all the "it won't affect the price of a good bottle of wine or a pint in a pub" - maybe not yet it won't but the principle has been established, that it is perfectly acceptable to artificially inflate the price of a commodity "for our own good".

They could probably brew their own if they want cheaper alcohol, but that would be too hard, because they want a shop down the road selling cheap booze.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 10:21 ----------

It IS a 'tax' on the poor (and before the ideologists say it ISN'T a tax - because they would be right.

We do our best, maybe not the present Government, to tax the rich; with a £12k personal allowance, inheritance tax starting at £325,000, are just 2 examples.

Do the poor think they should not contribute anything in taxes?

We do our best, maybe not the present Government, to tax the rich; with a £12k personal allowance, inheritance tax starting at £325,000, are just 2 examples.

Do the poor think they should not contribute anything in taxes?

Nice strawman in there for good measure.

Can anyone tell me what the difference it will make to my pint. I drink pretty much your average stuff eg. smiths tetleys carling etc. I pay in the region of £2.80--£3.00 a pint, and I find that's dear enough. (not a town drinker)

Pub beer is already far too expensive because it's taxed to the hilt now. It's usually about two units a pint so at that rate it would be about £1 a pint so will not affect pub price. What's betting it wouldn't come down in price to match.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 12:19 ----------

Helping the poor to live healthier lives is ok with me.

So it's ok for the wealthy to ruin Thier health then?

Edited by spilldig

So it's ok for the wealthy to ruin Thier health then?

If you can come up with a plan to solve that one, I am right behind you.

How about ID cards, and giving everyone a alcohol allowance ;)

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 12:44 ----------

Should we abolish the alcohol age of 18, because we cannot protect the over 18s?

or just letting grown adults getting on with their own lives?

Why not start with our Parliament.

Parliament’s alcohol bill TRIPLES in two years as MPs and guests guzzle £1.8 million worth of wine, champers and beer.

It seems to be do as we say not as we do.

The doddery old Lords said if it works in Scotland then the UK may follow suit.

Should we abolish the alcohol age of 18, because we cannot protect the over 18s?

Just put the advice out there.

---------- Post added 18-11-2017 at 16:04 ----------

or just letting grown adults getting on with their own lives?

Exactly .

dont even know why its still classed as 18 these days since a long time ago its been officially 25 with that under 25 codswallop, just because they cant police underage drinking properly, raise the age instead Oo

dont even know why its still classed as 18 these days since a long time ago its been officially 25 with that under 25 codswallop, just because they cant police underage drinking properly, raise the age instead Oo

Rubbish. Age limit is 18 and you can expect to need ID if they think you are under-25.

Yes. Unless we adopt a lsalmic approach to alcohol there is always going to be problems arising from its consumption. And no legal age limit has ever solved that problem, quite the opposite. Like teh forbidden fruit analogy.

Rubbish. Age limit is 18 and you can expect to need ID if they think you are under-25.

exactly, same difference.