Alcohol, Minimum Unit Pricing.

its designed to make extra money in tax on the back of the excuse to reduce the problem drinkers.

---------- Post added 17-11-2017 at 16:03 ----------

punishing the poorer people and will have no effect whatsoever

Maybe read this before posting. It is not a tax.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/Alcohol/minimum-pricing

punishing the poorer people and will have no effect whatsoever

It is an evidence-based policy though, not just an idea plucked out of thin air. Of course we won't know if it works until it's rolled out properly, but given the massive social and health issues that they're trying to tackle in Scotland, i would say it's worth giving it a go.

Or we continue to flood the market with cheap, horrible, dangerous stuff. One example i heard was a bottle of white cider, costing £4.50, containing 22 units of alcohol. That's just asking for trouble.

Has it been tried anywhere else in the world?

(i.e. imposing minimum pricing after no levy)

Do we know the outcome?

Has it been tried anywhere else in the world?

(i.e. imposing minimum pricing after no levy)

Do we know the outcome?

http://www.ias.org.uk/Alcohol-knowledge-centre/Price/Factsheets/Minimum-unit-pricing.aspx

The above lists the 6 other countries in the world using MUP and some stats on the effects.

i'm not poor, nor am i an alcoholic.

but if i see A) 12 bottles of beer for £12, vs B) 15 bottles of beer for £12, i know which one i will buy...

and if i have 15 bottles of beer, then i'm going to drink 15 bottles of beer

(not in one go, but a week or 2)

multiply my experience, by an adult population of ~60million, and then multiply that by a lifetime of drinking an additional 3 bottles of beer a week, and the effect on the nations health could be huge.

(if i drink those 3 bottles in 1 evening, am i likely to get up early and take the dog out for a long walk? or sit on the sofa till 11 eating bacon sandwiches?)

but theres people out there with MORE money and they dont even have to judge, oh thats that and its got those many, they can still just merrily get blasted

Can anyone tell me what the difference it will make to my pint. I drink pretty much your average stuff eg. smiths tetleys carling etc. I pay in the region of £2.80--£3.00 a pint, and I find that's dear enough. (not a town drinker)

Can anyone tell me what the difference it will make to my pint. I drink pretty much your average stuff eg. smiths tetleys carling etc. I pay in the region of £2.80--£3.00 a pint, and I find that's dear enough. (not a town drinker)

Do you live in Scotland?

When this was on the news the other lunchtime he held a large bottle of cider up and I am sure he said would be £14+ for one of those bottles. Just done a quick search and see a bottle of Frosty Jack cider had 22.5 units in in 2010, if that's the same now it is going to cost £11.25 for a 3 ltr bottle.

Do you live in Scotland?

No, but it won"t be long before we follow suit.

Will this tax effect pubs, they are already struggling, or will it be supermarkets only. I agree with what most people are saying it will be the poor who suffer.

Nicola Sturgeon, will still be able to buy her champagne.

I don't. Nothing should be rationed by price because it discriminates against people on low incomes.

Helping the poor to live healthier lives is ok with me.

Helping the poor to live healthier lives is ok with me.

i dont want to live healthier thanks, i dont go to the drs much, i dont cause ****, but i enjoy a drink here and there, and far from rolling in cash why should i suffer?