Anxiety attacks / insomnia.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of anywhere that panic attack sufferers can go in the late evening and early morning just for the company of sympathetic people or even fellow sufferers.

I'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

Thanks Tzijlstra. I'll see if there's anything that might help.

there are plenty of self help groups on facebook...i know its not face to face but there is usually any amount of fellow sufferers at any time of day to provide help or an ear x (fellow sufferer.)

Last year, when my anxiety was really bad, and it was late or the crack of dawn, I phoned the Samaritans. And I felt a lot calmer afterwards. Mines always worse when it's dark.

I know that about a year ago St Matthews Church in town used to host facilitated group support sessions by the group 'No Panic.' My friend, who used to attend them, rated them very highly.

I believe there is a new service called mindbox online . It's £9.95 a month or £95 a year . Once you've signed up there are numerous ways you can talk to a counsellor . Phone ,text ,email etc.Its a 24/7 365 days a year service . I was watching loose women yesterday and the lady who hosts that dating programme where they wear no clothes is involved . She and family members are sufferers so wanted there to be a cheaper alternative than going private . We all know through news programs how difficult it is for people to access help quickly who are suffering with their mental health. Sounded like a good alternative to NHS or private to me .

Sheffield IAPT run a course called Stress Control that I found helped - http://iaptsheffield.shsc.nhs.uk/stress-control/

They also offer other tools that you may find useful. I hope you find something that works for you :)

I second this.. Sheffield IAPT services are brilliant...

As someone who has OCD i can relate to the overwhelming condition of anxiety and it's ruddy awful!

You could also speak to your GP about taking a low dose of Sertraline (SSRI).. It can help take the edge off until you find your feet again..

Look after yourself x

---------- Post added 14-11-2017 at 16:15 ----------

Also, try mindfulness.. if you look on the internet you'll find lots of useful websites and books.. And if you have a smart phone you can download mindfulness apps.. I have used these, takes 10 minutes out of your day to breath and relax and free your mind.. It helps me..

Remember! For a quick breathing exercise and to calm your rapid heart rate breath in through the nose for 3 seconds and breath out through the mouth slowly for 6 seconds and repeat until you feel calmer.. Anxiety attacks last around 10 minutes at a time.. If you can learn to make that time less and less with each attack you'll be on your way to controlling it :)

Anxiety attacks are uncomfortable but NOT dangerous x

Edited by Chelle-82

Sorry to hear your suffering with this, I know its bloody awful from experience.

I don't know any groups you can talk to, but I had a medical friend of mine who recommended 4 cups of camomile tea again can help a bit. I normally don't go in for that sort of thing and question its value but I gave it a try and I do think if you drink enough it does have a bit of a calming effect.

Sorry that this is a bit of crappy advice, but its the best I can give. Thoughts are with you though buddy, I know it aint nice!

I was wondering if anyone was aware of anywhere that panic attack sufferers can go in the late evening and early morning just for the company of sympathetic people or even fellow sufferers.

I'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

I have been through phases where I'd wake up in the middle of the night panicking and anxious and my heart beating out of my chest; I had the paramedics out numerous times at first thinking that I was having a heart attack.

It was nearly always at night; it got to a point where I was dreading to go to bed. After a while I just learn to live with it and it just started happening less and less till eventually it stopped.

Hi Owlface, if you google 'no more panic',you will find a very large website dedicated to panic attacks, anxiety and other similar symptoms. It's a fantastic resource and has helped me with similar symptoms in the past, the forums are particularly useful.

Hope this helps, and hope you are feeling better soon.