Edwin Gowers and son. Grocers.

Gowers and Shentalls both had a number of branches in Sheffield - here are scans from the 1959 Kelly's Directory.

Bit of reminiscing please !

Let's have the location of all the Gowers shops.

Was there one on Abbeydale Road junc Chippinghouse Road ?

On the corner of Washington Road and Sharrow Lane, was that Gowers or Gallons ?

My memory is getting confused here i.e. Wasn't there a chain of shops called Gower and Burgon ?

Hi, yes it was Gowers and burgon . My dad was manager there in 1971 (when decimalisation happened) he used to take me there on the odd occasion, I was only 6 at the time, he was Leonard Roberts

I remember the Gowers on Middlewood road. In the late 50's and early 60's my mum took me with her and she bought an old empty wooden butter barrel. It was great for lighting the fire. I carried it home, chopped it up and put in the oven at the side of the old fire range we had .

My first job after leaving school in 1959 was Gowers on Glossop Road, Broomhill. :)

There was a Gowers on the corner of Abbeydale Road/Edgedale Road. I used it regularly when I live in area.

Yes there was a gowers and burgons at firth park I think or was that just burgins not sure now , need help .

It was Gowers & Burgons in the 60's. We always called it Burgons I used to drop our grocery order book on my way to work on Tuesdays (I think) for delivery on Thursday. We settled the bill on the following Saturday. The shop was the old fashioned type where you were served by a host of shop girls. I remember they had their own G&B tea which had picture cards in each pack. I still have some stashed away somewhere.

My Grandfather, Charles Morris was the Manager of the shop on Abbeydale Road late 69’s early 70’s and then the one at Crosspool.

Didn’t it’s name change to Tower in the late 70s?

My  wife's father worked for G&B as a manager in several branches, before becoming an area manager.

If memory serves me correctly, G&B were bought out by Weston's (Garfield Weston)

There was a small. Gower & Burgons on Abbey Lane in the late 60s round sbout 13/15 Abbey Lane 

11 hours ago, dp59 said:

My  wife's father worked for G&B as a manager in several branches, before becoming an area manager.

If memory serves me correctly, G&B were bought out by Weston's (Garfield Weston)

You are correct, G&B were firstly bought by Wright’s Biscuits of York  then Westons,

the Cavenham ( Goldsmith) who changed the name to Moore’s Stores.

I remember Gowers on Abbey Lane in the early sixties. A small shop which had its own particular smell.

like a mixture of sugar, tea, biscuits and cheese. Behind the counter a step ladder fixed to a runner

enabling  staff to reach right up to the highest shelves. Everything was weighed and sold loose.

Further along was another grocers named Woods. This was posh and rather smart.  An assistant would open

the door for you. They delivered, but it was pricey compared to Gowers.

A few years later a Gallons shop opened on Chesterfield Road (Woodseats bottom).