Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

Yes, exactly.

---------- Post added 10-01-2018 at 21:11 ----------

You can check the geofencing location using the app, it doesn't go far enough for me, stops 1km short of getting home at the top of Dixon Road.

They won't get me home either then!

I guess the further out they go, the less chance there is of someone else picking it up from there. Like a taxi not wanting to take a fares long way out as they won't get one in the other direction.

These would have been ideal for me to get home on NYE though!

Out of interest, are these things insured?

Are the riders?

Are pedestrians?

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 07:30 ----------

Right. Absolutely useless to me then. As it will be to a huge amount of people in Sheffield. Marvelous!

Looks like it will include an awful lot of people, but mostly useless for me.

Students catchment areas are all included though, and I suppose at a pinch I could walk the km, hope there's a bike there, and cycle to the train station (for example). Or I could just take the tram.

Are pedestrians?

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 07:30 ----------

Looks like it will include an awful lot of people, but mostly useless for me.

Students catchment areas are all included though, and I suppose at a pinch I could walk the km, hope there's a bike there, and cycle to the train station (for example). Or I could just take the tram.

I suspect that the business model is based around student use and occasional rail/tram travellers

What happens if there is an accident? Going home last night I saw one being ridden down Waingate, against the traffic, and two more being ridden on the path on the high Street - just wondering who to sue if someone does happen to bump into me. :suspect:

ofo bikes carry liability insurance.

Thank you, cgksheff.

A sensible reply.

Can I take the bike outside of the city?

There is a perimeter boundary around your city, which you can view in the ofo app. The area is designated by a green line, we call this the "geofence". If you take the bike outside of this area, you will have 12 hours to return the ofo bike back inside the "geofence". Failure to do so will result in credit points being taken from your ofo account.

From FAQ on the ofo website.

ofo bikes carry liability insurance.

At least that's something.

paula4sheff

...Absolutely useless to me then. As it will be to a huge amount of people in Sheffield. Marvelous!

for now.

there needs to be enough bikes in an area to make them useful - if they're too dispersed, they're of little use (a bike 100m away is more use than a bike 500m away).

as more bikes arrive, the geofence can be expanded.

so yes! it is marvellous!

On a trip to the main SHU building I observed 4 "students" (youths of the expected age) racing the damn things down Arundel Street!!!

Another use for them :)

There was one hung on a tree on Hunters Bar roundabout yesterday. That didn't take long,did it?