Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

So Ofo bikes are going to prosecute vandals damaging their bikes.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/firm-to-prosecute-vandals-damaging-yellow-bikes-in-sheffield-1-9172918

Good for them. I hope they're successful in their private prosecutions & take the offenders to the cleaners because in the normal course of events all that would happen to them is a stern talking to. Make them pay for the damage.

I've seen one of the Ofo bikes this morning. Someone has chucked one over the railings at Lady's Bridge & it's now sat in a few feet of water.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/firm-to-prosecute-vandals-damaging-yellow-bikes-in-sheffield-1-9172918

Good for them. I hope they're successful in their private prosecutions & take the offenders to the cleaners because in the normal course of events all that would happen to them is a stern talking to. Make them pay for the damage.

I've seen one of the Ofo bikes this morning. Someone has chucked one over the railings at Lady's Bridge & it's now sat in a few feet of water.

Have you reported it?

Aye, good luck proving it.

Well take the Lady's Bridge incident. Plenty of CCTV knocking about, on the streets, in passing premises, so whoever did it shouldn't be hard to find those responsible.

A few private prosecutions with costs awarded to Ofo, should get the message across.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 12:31 ----------

Have you reported it?

Will do when I get home. I'll not bother with 101 though. Apparently vandalism doesn't seem to be treated as a crime anymore.

Report it directly to Ofo they have a 6 person team driving around, recovering and repairing them.

Report it directly to Ofo they have a 6 person team driving around, recovering and repairing them.

Cheers, will do.

Well take the Lady's Bridge incident. Plenty of CCTV knocking about, on the streets, in passing premises, so whoever did it shouldn't be hard to find those responsible.

A few private prosecutions with costs awarded to Ofo, should get the message across.

---------- Post added 23-05-2018 at 12:31 ----------

Will do when I get home. I'll not bother with 101 though. Apparently vandalism doesn't seem to be treated as a crime anymore.

And how does a private company access this CCTV? :confused:

And how does a private company access this CCTV? :confused:

Well. Have a think about it?

If someone took or damage your property, who would you turn to for help who could ask someone or a business to access their CCTV?

Edited by Baron99
Spelling mistake

Well. Have a think about it?

If someone took or damage your property, who would you turn to for help who could ask someone or a business to access their CCTV?

So then it effectively becomes a criminal issue, rather than a civil one, if you are having to go down that route.

They will be relying on catching people in the act doing it, and even then they will need to film it.

Aye, good luck proving it.

These will now go back to the company who will be taking action against anyone seen causing damage to the bikes provided for the scheme.

They're highly unlikely to catch anyone in the act really.

Do Ofo honestly think that the threat of private prosecution is going to make a difference ? They are way off the mark, the scrotes doing it have no respect for rules and laws in the slightest .

They'd have better luck if they simply went around and collected all the bikes with no locks on. They can use reasonable force if necessary to recover what is at that point stolen property.