Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

It's not a charity- its a business aimed at making themselves profit- and I'm not about to start working for any business for free!

How they intend to make their profit is still unclear.

Not one of their operations is going to make money from cycle hire.

Some are expected to do well from investing deposits, but the UK model is deposit-free.

Seen one inside Crystal Peaks today (yes inside) . By the look of the young chap who was with it , I worry for its safety

I appreciate the sentiment behind this scheme but for me it has just enhanced my grievance against irresponsible bike riders. A few years ago I suffered an injury when I side stepped a pavement puddle and a cyclist 'dressed in padded cycling gear complete with helmet, but with no warning horn or bell, ploughed into me and knocked me off my feet. The 'gentleman' then kicked me and berated me for walking in his path before riding off with no licence plate or other means of identifying him so that the police were impotent. Having had yet another near miss with two youths riding these yellow bikes and witnessing several incidences of them being 'dumped' I do have concerns. I am not against cyclists and think Sheffield Council should provide more cycle paths so that responsible cyclists can also be safe

using pavements.

There's a valid argument for Sheffield having more cycle paths but in the meantime

Noticed several of these bikes just dumped in the middle of footways this last week or two. Whoever had left each one had obviously given no thought to other people who would be walking past.

A "well thought out", right-on, SJW, save the planet, look at me I'm being greeeeen scheme that will doubtless rapidly fade into obscurity when the last one is wrecked by the local chavery.

---------- Post added 24-03-2018 at 07:52 ----------

Although Ofo did seek it and get it.

Sheffield Councillor Jack Scott, Cabinet Member for Transport and Sustainability, said “
Sheffield Council has been working closely with ofo
to ensure that dockless bikes are used responsibly and considerately following their introduction.”

I do want this scheme to work and accept that there will be teething issues until the novelty wears off but at what point do Ofo become responsible for flytipping?

So how much is this privately run scheme costing the council then, given that SCC are working closely with them? Nothing the council does is costless as the staff time at least has to be paid for. And here's me thinking the council were strapped for cash, as they regularly tell us.

---------- Post added 24-03-2018 at 07:54 ----------

I was talking to the guys that run the scheme in sheffield.

they are very happy with how its going

Well of course they are, it's keeping them in a job. They'd hardly say it was a load of rubbish now, would they?

Did you move them to the side of the pavement?

Did you move them to the side of the pavement?
I was driving, so no. Even if I was on foot why should I stop to move someone else's rubbish?

Just dumping these things anywhere might, in certain circumstances, be classified as obstruction of the highway. Leaving the owners, oto, potentially liable to any resulting fines or court cases. I don't think trying to pin liability onto the last user would work either, especially if the bike wasn't exactly were they claimed to have left it.

What action are SCC taking to ensure such unlawful activity occurs or what are they requiring of the owners to put in place to make sure it doesn't happen?

Full of complaints, but not much community spirit, just checking.

If someone moves your bin to the middle of the road, do you imagine that you're liable for it?

cycling to the AMRC last week someone had rolled a tree trunk across the path and stretched fence wire across the downhill bit from the a57 footbridge. Do I just complain leave it for someone to deal with or stop and do the community thing of making it safe for the others (dog walkers/ cyclists/kids walking to school)? So I fix it as well as I can then report it to SCC. Going back out again to make sure its safe tomorrow

Same for the bloke on the Manor who came out to sweep the glass up of the route when a couple of local; kids thought it was funny to smash lambrini bottles along the route.

The city needs a bit less moaning and complaining and bit more helping out

I was driving, so no. Even if I was on foot why should I stop to move someone else's rubbish?

Just dumping these things anywhere might, in certain circumstances, be classified as obstruction of the highway. Leaving the owners, oto, potentially liable to any resulting fines or court cases. I don't think trying to pin liability onto the last user would work either, especially if the bike wasn't exactly were they claimed to have left it.

What action are SCC taking to ensure such unlawful activity occurs or what are they requiring of the owners to put in place to make sure it doesn't happen?

Another moaning car driver......blah, blah, blah.

It's not a charity- its a business aimed at making themselves profit- and I'm not about to start working for any business for free!

That's exactly what you're doing when you separate your waste into blue or black bins and then take them out to the roadside for collection.

I would say the bikes have become a popular way for people to travel to meet their heroin and crack dealers, based on who I've seen riding them and where they get left.