Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

No you get charged when your time is up. Unlock, ride for however long you want people and then when you end your ride it charges your card.

---------- Post added 23-02-2018 at 16:53 ----------

They're not dumped - you get off wherever you want (within the allowed area) and leave it for the next person. That's the point of them being dockless- you don't return them to a specific point.

Great idea in principle but the trouble is they are rarely available in the key areas, I haven't been able to access one close to the railway station on 3 occasions, similar around the Hallamshire hospital, both should be key pick up zones. Maybe overtime this will rectify itself.

Great idea in principle but the trouble is they are rarely available in the key areas, I haven't been able to access one close to the railway station on 3 occasions, similar around the Hallamshire hospital, both should be key pick up zones. Maybe overtime this will rectify itself.

That's really odd. I was at the pub at the station last week, and there were four outside the station. That was lunchtime, so I rode one back to the office :)

I drove past one last week on the Manor, the person riding it had loaded it with scrap wire and it was no longer yellow, the shape being the only clue as to what it used to be.

Getting fed up of seeing butchered ones. Some people show no respect. I think I have probably seen as many with the lock broken off as I have seen intact. What is wrong with society?

heartbreaking, isn't it? saw 2 within a bout a 100 ft of each other in the River Don yesterday. and a bent one propped up on Granville Road. What possible pleasure do people get from destroying things for the sake of it :(

heartbreaking, isn't it? saw 2 within a bout a 100 ft of each other in the River Don yesterday. and a bent one propped up on Granville Road. What possible pleasure do people get from destroying things for the sake of it :(

i blame the parents and no consequences anymore for wrong doing:rant:

I personally blame the people sanctioning this kind of thing who actually expected it to work out properly.

Looks stupid now with yellow broken / bent / unusable bikes around..

i blame the parents and no consequences anymore for wrong doing:rant:

isn't there? I thought we still had prisons. But it would be good to back to the time you're thinking of when no one did any wrong doing, err when was that exactly?

I personally blame the people sanctioning this kind of thing who actually expected it to work out properly.

So you blame the people that put the scheme on for the vandalism?

That's as ludicrous as blaming someone who builds a wall when people vandalize it, or a shopkeeper when people shoplift.

No-one has to "sanction" a scheme like this. It required no approval or support from the authorities.

The operator can introduce a scheme like this wherever they like. They are the ones taking the risk.

isn't there? I thought we still had prisons. But it would be good to back to the time you're thinking of when no one did any wrong doing, err when was that exactly?

There was never a time when kids or adults did no wrong, but when I was at school in the 60s and a teacher or the head had found their pupils destroying or stealing property in school time, they would have been caned, and if outside school some punishment would have been metered out by their parents, yes, even the poor ones of which, in this city, there many.

No-one has to "sanction" a scheme like this. It required no approval or support from the authorities.

Although Ofo did seek it and get it.

Sheffield Councillor Jack Scott, Cabinet Member for Transport and Sustainability, said “Sheffield Council has been working closely with ofo to ensure that dockless bikes are used responsibly and considerately following their introduction.”

I do want this scheme to work and accept that there will be teething issues until the novelty wears off but at what point do Ofo become responsible for flytipping?