Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

It's mainly kids I've seen riding them, giving piggybacks to others, trying to skid across roads and absolutely racing down pavements ringing the bells. .

Really? I see loads being used every day as they should be in the centre and have only seen one being used by a child.

So you pay for half an hour then ride around all day and wait for them to catch up with you ?

No. Your credit card is registered on the app. It starts timing when you unlock the bike and stops timing when you lock it again (with the lock that goes through the back wheel). It then charges your credit card for the time you've used.

So you pay for half an hour then ride around all day and wait for them to catch up with you ?

---------- Post added 20-02-2018 at 23:18 ----------

So how come all these bikes I see parked up have the metal ring across the spokes ?

I'm getting dizzy about all this !!

Think of it like an NCP car park.

You park your car, the timer starts, and at the end of your stay, you're charged whatever the cost is.

Same with the bikes. You unlock them, and start riding. When you've finished, the charge is dictated by however long you've been on it. As has been said, you've already registered a card, so they just charge your card.

You lock them yourself, so as to signal that that's the end of your ride. Next person comes along and wants to use the bike, they unlock it with the app.

Think of it like an NCP car park.

You park your car, the timer starts, and at the end of your stay, you're charged whatever the cost is.

Same with the bikes. You unlock them, and start riding. When you've finished, the charge is dictated by however long you've been on it. As has been said, you've already registered a card, so they just charge your card.

You lock them yourself, so as to signal that that's the end of your ride. Next person comes along and wants to use the bike, they unlock it with the app.

Hi Andy and others, now understood, over and out !!

I saw three kids riding them along Penistone Rd yesterday. So if you have to register your credit card and so on, how do kids get them?

You need a credit card registered to the app in order to unlock a bike.

So either those kids have credit cards, someone else unlocked the bikes, or they stole them.

My children first got payment cards aged 12 with their current accounts. Not credit cards, but debit cards. Perhaps that's what's the kids are using.

I was out and about early this morning 4am, I saw several around Hillsborough being ridden by people going or coming home from work, having done a few night shifts I can see the potential of riding in and out of town to standing at a cold bus stop.

I saw three kids riding them along Penistone Rd yesterday. So if you have to register your credit card and so on, how do kids get them?

Virtual credit cards maybe?

My children first got payment cards aged 12 with their current accounts. Not credit cards, but debit cards. Perhaps that's what's the kids are using.

Could be...a debit card is fine for regustering on thecapp, It doesn't have to be a credit card. You can also top up your account from a card and use that balance.

No. Your credit card is registered on the app. It starts timing when you unlock the bike and stops timing when you lock it again (with the lock that goes through the back wheel). It then charges your credit card for the time you've used.

So,the bike that's been locked up at Dore & Totley station for over 2 weeks is probably out of their range and somebody is still racking up charges!

So,the bike that's been locked up at Dore & Totley station for over 2 weeks is probably out of their range and somebody is still racking up charges!

no it's locked and ready for the next person to unlock it and ride it somewhere else :)

theres one on toppham way outside a house is that out of the area,saw one painted red on gleadless valley,so they can get up hills by some people