Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

I'd expect that a lot of people who are riding them rarely ride bikes, so feel more comfortable around town on pavements than sharing with motorists. If they were regular riders, they would likely have their own bikes. I might be wrong, but that seems logical to me.

They should be ridden on the road. It is illegal for adults to ride on a footpath (and I don't mean a designated shared footpath/cycle path before anyone chimes in with that again). I saw a chap on a yellow bike pinging on the bell for pedestrians to get out of his way on the footpath on ecclesall rd today and another yellow bike just dumped right in the middle of the path on its side. There are some very inconsiderate people around.

It is illegal yes, but 2 home secretaries have said that cyclists should use the pavement if they feel that the road is unsafe, and you can in fact find the police on cycles using the pavement themselves.

It's time that the law was changed.

They should be ridden on the road. It is illegal for adults to ride on a footpath (and I don't mean a designated shared footpath/cycle path before anyone chimes in with that again). I saw a chap on a yellow bike pinging on the bell for pedestrians to get out of his way on the footpath on ecclesall rd today and another yellow bike just dumped right in the middle of the path on its side. There are some very inconsiderate people around.

They do seem to be seen on the pavement more than the road. There's no excuse most of the time to ride these bikes on the pavement around the zone.

Also I've noticed they seem to be left in the weirdest places, not close an obvious destination, just randomly abandoned by the road

It is illegal yes, but 2 home secretaries have said that cyclists should use the pavement if they feel that the road is unsafe, and you can in fact find the police on cycles using the pavement themselves.

It's time that the law was changed.

As Cyclone says, it has been supported by two Home Secretaries now.

From an admittedly cycling site:-

"Fortunately, when FPNs were introduced for pavement cycling in 1999, Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued guidance saying that: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".

The Home Office guidance was re-affirmed in 2014 by the then Cycling Minister Robert Goodwill, who agreed that the police should use discretion in enforcing the law and recommended that the matter be taken up with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). ACPO welcomed the renewed guidance, circulated it to all forces, and issued a statement referring to "discretion in taking a reasonable and proportionate approach, with safety being a guiding principle".

To summarise, cycling on the pavement is still an offence, but there is clear guidance that the police are supposed to exercise discretion."

I've highlighted the part that is exactly what I said in my post. I suspect that this scheme is very much aimed at those who don't cycle regularly. I don't even own a bike, but on the odd occasion, have used the yellow bikes. I would certainly feel very hesitant to cycle round Bramall Lane roundabout, which is the nearest one to me, so will use the underpass, carefully. I can understand people not wanting to cycle on Ecclesall Road too - in fact many roads in Sheffield - as the motorists can be total idiots on there, as someone I know found out when they were hit and killed.

If people are regular cyclists, I'd suggest they're unlikely to use this scheme, as they will have their bikes with them. This, to me, is designed for those who rarely ride, and perhaps it will encourage them to do so, and to leave their cars at home.

As for the person ringing their bell, would you prefer them to collide with people?

As for the person ringing their bell, would you prefer them to collide with people?

Pedestrians should not be expected to jump out of the way of cyclists.

If there is no room for you to cycle, safely, on the pavement, get off and walk (or use the road).

In the event of a collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian on the pavement, it is the fault of the cyclist.

.... things are different on shared cycle paths, of course.

Edited by cgksheff

If there is no room for you to cycle, safely, on the pavement, get off and walk (or use the road).

In the event of a collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian on the pavement, it is the fault of the cyclist.

Yep, I agree with that.

But if they couldn't stop, surely it's better to ring the bell and say "Hey I've made a mistake here, look out!", than simply crash into them?

We don't know the circumstances. Perhaps the cyclist misjudged it. Perhaps they thought it was safe, then realised they'd made an error and couldn't stop. Who knows. Perhaps the furious ringing described was a genuine warning as they were panicking. We simply don't know.

As for the question of fault, generally yes, but not always. I've seen cases where people just walk into others, including cyclists. Everything turns on its individual circumstances.

The Ecclesall Road comment is more an indication of how awful the infrastructure for cycling and walking is in many areas of Sheffield.

Its well documented that Ecclesall Road is a black spot for cycling with numerous collisions. These are usually not the fault of the rider. Many cases of left hooks and cars pulling out from the side roads are shown on various crash maps. It’s a radial route for large numbers of people commuting by bike

feature in the star

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/revealed-the-five-most-dangerous-roads-in-sheffield-for-cyclists-1-8089054

This comment on Facebook about Ecclesall road was picked up by west midlands traffic police and widely quoted as affirmation for their own class pass initiative.

Riding in this morning I found myself cycling behind a young lad, about 14-15, for about a mile/mile and a half. He had a hi-vis vest, helmet and lights, didn't run red lights or ride on pavements. During this time, two drivers pulled out of side roads in front of him, causing him to swerve out into the road, and three turned left across his path, nearly left-hooking him. That's five drivers in one short journey who either weren't paying due care or simply didn't care. Again, this was a kid doing everything right as opposed to (at least) five tested, insured taxed blah blah blah drivers who weren't, and whose shoddy conduct put him in jeopardy five times in the space of less than ten minutes. This is why arguments about dayglo clothing, lights by day, foam hats etc. are a complete distraction from what the real issue is: poorly trained and over-entitled people in cars; why the "be seen" approach to cycle safety is deeply misguided; and why road safety advice must most forcefully be aimed at those who pose the greatest risk, not those at risk of the greatest harm. As I've often said to non-cyclers who raise the "if only cyclists didn't break the law, they wouldn't come to harm" falsehood: get on a bike, do everything right and see how much respect you get. No one's ever taken me up on that. I think this morning's incidents indicate why. I'm just glad laddo lived to ride another day.

Now take a trip to our near neighbours over the Pennines who seem to have a much more progressive outlook on developing their city.

If you visit Oxford Rd, a street not dissimilar to Ecclesall Road in many ways, you'll see what can do with a bit of will, a much better environment for cyclist and pedestrians

https://www.tfgm.com/maps/oxford-road

Don’t give me that “Manchester has more money “mantra. They were bothered enough to bid from a Government fund pot that Sheffield didn't bother with as said they said they had no schemes worth considering

So going back to the original point I can more than understand why an inexperienced OFO user might not want to mix it with the traffic on Ecclesall Road. Having seen the stats I wouldn't use that route unless I absolutely had no choice.

The bell ringing alerts the pedestrian that a cycle is there. There is no requirement or expectation of "jumping out of the way", but not suddenly changing direction or being startled by a passing bike is the aim.

Ringing a bell doesn't mean that there is no room to cycle safely, it's just polite.

---------- Post added 14-02-2018 at 10:02 ----------

There's no excuse most of the time to ride these bikes on the pavement around the zone.

There are some very dangerous roads within the city centre. Inexperienced cyclists could be in considerable danger by using them, compared to little danger by using the pavement.

I have seen some with seats missing, perhaps something sinister is happening?

Anyone using those particular bikes could end up looking like your avatar picture.

Anyone using those particular bikes could end up looking like your avatar picture.

Thats actually a warning about messing with high voltage cables when your not qualified :suspect:

Use the pavement by all means when it is clear enough for safe cycling.

If it isn't get off and walk.

Don't assume that everyone can hear you or your bell.

It's still polite to ring it though, just so that you don't startle anyone, even when there is enough room.