Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

There was one hung on a tree on Hunters Bar roundabout yesterday. That didn't take long,did it?

You should see how many the gypsi… scrap men have had in their vans. Apparently a half-decent magnet will scramble all the technology.

it could be fun on a summers day,dive in the canal get dried off and ride to work,but could be bad on a frosty day,in china they are piled every where,so we will have to see what happens in the future,students could have fun the day before they leave to go home and not return? they could rename them the yellow perils of Sheffield?

Well I've downloaded the app, and if it's useful in the city, I may well give it a go. Can't complain till I've tried it.

As we left the Crucible on Tuesday night there one or two chaps cycling around by the library i assume heading towards the Uni or residences somewhere close by.

On a trip to the main SHU building I observed 4 "students" (youths of the expected age) racing the damn things down Arundel Street!!!

Another use for them :)

There will definitely be strava segment challenges going on!

You should see how many the gypsi… scrap men have had in their vans. Apparently a half-decent magnet will scramble all the technology.

whats the point?

There are dozens of mountain bikes around the city and the two Universities locked up with cheap cables.

A decent set of snips and 5 seconds of your time and they are yours to take and sell. Don't worry about CCTV, as long as you don't case the racks first they won't get you

If you are a small-time thief feeding a habit that's the way to go. Only a tiny fraction of them have trackers fitted so you will most likely get away with it. Might get you 20 quid

If I was a pro with a cordless angle grinder and a bottle jack Id follow a ride into the Peak District and take something worth a few grand from outside a cafe. Strip it down and sell the wheels and group set on.

Taking a bright yellow bike that you cant easily sell on with a tracker fiited that's worth less than 40 quid is a mug's game.

What happens if there is an accident? Going home last night I saw one being ridden down Waingate, against the traffic, and two more being ridden on the path on the high Street - just wondering who to sue if someone does happen to bump into me. :suspect:

What a crap attitude to have, "someone bumped into me so I must get as much money out of them as possible", such a stupid way to see things.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 21:15 ----------

whats the point?

There are dozens of mountain bikes around the city and the two Universities locked up with cheap cables.

A decent set of snips and 5 seconds of your time and they are yours to take and sell. Don't worry about CCTV, as long as you don't case the racks first they won't get you

If you are a small-time thief feeding a habit that's the way to go. Only a tiny fraction of them have trackers fitted so you will most likely get away with it. Might get you 20 quid

If I was a pro with a cordless angle grinder and a bottle jack Id follow a ride into the Peak District and take something worth a few grand from outside a cafe. Strip it down and sell the wheels and group set on.

Taking a bright yellow bike that you cant easily sell on with a tracker fiited that's worth less than 40 quid is a mug's game.

But it's not like you have given it a lot of thought though ....

What a crap attitude to have, "someone bumped into me so I must get as much money out of them as possible", such a stupid way to see things.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 21:15 ----------

But it's not like you have given it a lot of thought though ....

We work at the Unversity trying to prevent cycle theft so we have a fair deal of knowledge about what goes on .

What happens if there is an accident? Going home last night I saw one being ridden down Waingate, against the traffic, and two more being ridden on the path on the high Street - just wondering who to sue if someone does happen to bump into me. :suspect:

How is this even a question?

Who do you "sue" if a cyclist on there own bike runs into you? Who do you sue if a hire car runs into you? Who do you sue if a pedestrian scrapes down the side of the car?

The person responsible in each case obviously. :huh:

Seeing these being used loads, which is absolutely great in my opinion.

Yes, they aren't going to be appropriate for everyone in every situation. But for a quick, one-way trip across the centre of town I think they'll be really useful to a lot of people.

It frees up space on public transport and helps keep people fit. What's to object to?

If you're on Facebook, Sheffield Online has pictures of one up in a tree at Hunters Bar:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26220200_1975204962508369_7737250523284652736_n.jpg?oh=a838ff5efff933354e3cef9cb1801779&oe=5AB84A0B

ETA: also in the staff:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/pictures-dockless-bike-left-in-tree-on-hunter-s-bar-roundabout-1-8951872

Edited by alchresearch

I love the scheme and I've taken a few trips on the bikes now. I'll definitely be using them for short journeys around town (and maybe for commuting if they expand the geofence a bit).

The Android app seems pretty flaky though - not once yet has it successfully unlocked a bike for me, I always have to enter a pin. And the map seems to stop updating after it's been open for a few minutes - have to keep closing and reopening the app.