November 2017 bus news - new smartcards etc

I keep forgetting to ask but can you use normal contactless cards on Stagecoach buses now then?

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure the number 1 won't get me into the town centre in time to start work at 7am. Maybe I will have to see what busses go from Meadowhead into town?

First one leaves Jordanthorpe at 5.41am on weekdays

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 23:54 ----------

I keep forgetting to ask but can you use normal contactless cards on Stagecoach buses now then?

Stagecoach bus now do contactless card payment yes as do trains. No other bus operators in Sheffield do however, neither does the trams.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/national/contactless

---------- Post added 19-11-2017 at 23:58 ----------

Heads up, the new ticket machines on First buses are on Sheffield buses from today https://www.firstgroup.com/south-yorkshire/more/new-ticket-machines

Edited by Andy C

First South Yorkshire are getting new ticket machines - Doncaster w/c 12th November, Sheffield w/c 19th November

must say what a shambles it was this morning on the 52, the driver had no idea how to put a 7 day citywide on my card, was stood there about 7 mins and he couldn't do it.

Then the journey up Staniforth Road with children wanting weekly tickets on their cards was even more of a farce, he couldn't put any on the £7.50 on a card, some of the children then got a £6.50 weekly paper ticket instead. Kids were getting on bus for free. Thankfully there was x3 - 52`s all together going up the road so kids got on some of the other buses.

I understand there are teething problems but the training clearly wasnt enough. I have seen a few twitter posts also complaining so a city wide (excuse the pun) chaos occurred.

At least by Friday they will get the hang of it and next week wont be so bad getting to work, which I was late for today.

It was terrible yesterday on the 72 route. The bus was running 15 minutes late due to problems with the ticketing machine. Then he was also unable to provide anybody with a Citywide ticket. So my relatively short journey into work that usually takes around 7 minutes took 20 minutes and we only picked up four people.

Does anyone know if the smart cards needed for weekly tickets are still free of charge?

Picked up a leaflet on a bus the other week which says “we currently charge 50p per card, however we will be issuing cards to customers free of charge until 31 December 2017” so it is a little confusing.

I’m presuming that they are free until the end of the year and the “currently” is superfluous.

Edited by Guest

The phrase is correct their as been a 50p charge , however, they are free until end of year, look at it as a supermarket special offer with the 50p as a previous price.

12yr old is having trouble buying a weekly ticket on first busses as they've changed to electronic passes. His didn't seem to be working and the drivers have no idea. Anyone else had the same issue?

My week pass was put onto a card and didn't work at all, even on the new machines, had to show the receipt every time, from their reaction it looked like that was happening a lot. Hopefully they have been able to iron out the issues but it sounds like the drivers got next to no training on them.

I got on a bus on Tuesday, it was £1.50 for my journey, which is usually £1..

this was on First, have the prices gone up? and really by 50%? :o

12yr old is having trouble buying a weekly ticket on first busses as they've changed to electronic passes. His didn't seem to be working and the drivers have no idea. Anyone else had the same issue?

Could be the pass has become damaged (chip or Ariel) and needs replacing. Replacement passes can be ordered online here: https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/megatravelpass/

---------- Post added 26-11-2017 at 15:21 ----------

I got on a bus on Tuesday, it was £1.50 for my journey, which is usually £1..

this was on First, have the prices gone up? and really by 50%? :o

Not aware of any fare changes, the only ones I know are that cheap are either student fares, City Centre fares and some special offers

Unfortunately First don't seem to advertise their single fares online, just the day/week/month passes although if there are Stagecoach buses in your area you could check the Stagecoach journey planner that does quote ticket prices as First generally price match these days.

Please can somebody (Andy C?) clarify how the new smartcards work on the routes where you can use both bus companies with one pass like the 52 and 52a?

My Stagecoach smartcard doesn't work on the posh new machines on First despite wasting 50p on a new one in case they had upgraded them. I'm constantly asked by the First drivers to try out the card but it NEVER works. I normally present the paper counterpart issued by Stagecoach as proof of purchase.

So, what happens if stagecoach phase out the paper counterpart as I've heard?

If I buy a First smartcard instead, apparently they don't work on Stagecoach either and there's no paper counterpart so how will that work?

Does this all mean that the option of using both services on the special routes is stopping?

So confused :{

Cheers Duckegg

You could just go to the travel center and get a TravelMaster version, this seems to work fine on both..

Although, I have used StageCoach card on First before without problem, it usually only doesn't work if it's a "Stagecoach only" pass you purchased, and not an "all busses" pass... and visa-versa...