Hillsborough Bus/Tram Gates and your satnav!

My satnav (up to date TomTom via smartphone) likes sending me through these gates during hours where I shouldn't be... that's not on is it.

Any one else have this problem?

Do you have a different brand satnav that can do it correctly?

From Wadsley there are several viable ways to get on the M1 in the morning depending on traffic and I like my satnav to tell me the best way each morning but it's routing me through these gates. I divert to Holme Lane and Penistone Road but I'm left wondering if a different way would have been better.

I called TomTom and they asked me to submit a map update request but I just can't believe no one else has saved me the trouble before!

Rob.

My satnav likes to try and get me to drive through it too, and others around the city. But I pay attention to the road, the surrounding and the road traffic law, meaning i don't fall foul and try and blame the satnav (I think that excuse is surly out of date and can't wash anymore).

Rob - why do you use the satnav for a journey that you do every day and are very familiar with? Satnavs cannot be wholly relied on anyway, no matter how up to date they are. The driver is in charge of the vehicle, not the satnav and he or she should read the road signs.

Google will route you around the tram gate, I'm not sure that it will let you go through even when it's a valid option.

I advised a driver the other day that he was about to get a ticket if he went through, he replied (before turning around) that he hadn't realised.

I suppose the multiple signs he'd driven past, on the side of the road, painted on the floor, the different colour tarmac, none of that had registered with him... Should he really be driving if he can't observe road signs?

Yeah, two things to clarify. I haven't ever driven through the tram gates at the wrong time. As I said I divert down Holme Lane and on to Penistone Road. I hope I'm as attentive as Colt claims to be!

Jomie - The reason I use my satnav for a well trodden journey is that is has active traffic management and will route me around build ups of traffic areas instead of me just joining the back of a jam. As I said, there are several viable routes to the M1 south and the idea is this satnav should know which is best on any given day.

So, let's hear which brand of sat nav you have and whether or not it can cope with the tram gates problem!

Rob.

Does your Tom Tom fail you only with Hillsborough? Does it guide you safely through any other time controlled gates in Sheffield?

As for "tram gates problem". What problem?

I only go through the one at Hillsborough. The tram gates problem is that my sat nav wants to ignore them!

Well, that will teach you to come on the Forum and ask a sensible question ! Sadly, a large number of members are only interested in carping and criticism.

How can a sat nav take into account a tram gate that isn’t 24 hour?

Rob - thank you for explaining about why you use a satnav for a familiar journey. It was a genuine enquiry - hadn't realised that someone would use a satnav for that purpose. Since you ask, I don't have a dedicated satnav - I use the one that is built into my mobile telephone. I know Hillsborough so wouldn't use it. Phone is elderly and not updated so it would not know about this issue. I don't go far so only need it if I am travelling somewhere unfamiliar. It sounds as if you might be able to get the problem sorted with the help of the company who make your satnav.

Edited by Jomie

I doubt any sat nav will take into account open / closed tram or bus gates that operate at different times of the day.

How can a sat nav take into account a tram gate that isn’t 24 hour?

Errr, by knowing what time of day you are travelling at... :huh:

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 12:38 ----------

I doubt any sat nav will take into account open / closed tram or bus gates that operate at different times of the day.

Google maps can and does.