Bus diversion during overnight road resurfacing at Handsworth

Has anyone else been affected by the bus route diversion at Handsworth between 7pm and 7am due to the road resurfacing works on Handsworth Road?

Ended up on a 45 minute almost 3 mile diversion round Richmond/Woodthorpe and Prince of Wales road this morning and late for work

1) why was this not advertised at the affected bus stops in advance i.e a week before the closure/diversion

2) why was this not advertised on the buses in advance i.e a week before the closure/diversion

3) why on earth has a road closure on a very busy road been allowed between 7pm and 7am - do the authorities not realise that not everyone works 9-5 or like them are on flexi time therefore people do have to catch a bus before the road closure/diversion ends?

4) not everyone is capable of walking a 40 minute walk up hill to catch the bus at a suitable stop to avoid the diversion

Once again a very poor collaboration between the transport executive and the local authorities on this

It's detailed clearly in the disruptions section of the Travel South Yorkshire web site.

If only they had put the closure notice on big yellow signs for the last 2 weeks.

If only they had big yellow notices on the bus stops on the route for the last week. :huh:

Edited by Sheffvlad

Has anyone else been affected by the bus route diversion at Handsworth between 7pm and 7am due to the road resurfacing works on Handsworth Road?

Ended up on a 45 minute almost 3 mile diversion round Richmond/Woodthorpe and Prince of Wales road this morning and late for work

1) why was this not advertised at the affected bus stops in advance i.e a week before the closure/diversion

2) why was this not advertised on the buses in advance i.e a week before the closure/diversion

3) why on earth has a road closure on a very busy road been allowed between 7pm and 7am - do the authorities not realise that not everyone works 9-5 or like them are on flexi time therefore people do have to catch a bus before the road closure/diversion ends?

4) not everyone is capable of walking a 40 minute walk up hill to catch the bus at a suitable stop to avoid the diversion

Once again a very poor collaboration between the transport executive and the local authorities on this

If they did it between 7am and 7pm you'd still moan, they can't win

All the bus info is here https://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/disruptions.aspx where it was posted at least a week ago

Handsworth Road - Road resurfacing will be taking place on two sections as detailed below

Handsworth Road: Sheffield Parkway Roundabout (between Clifton Crescent and Asda supermarket access) closed to traffic from 1900 on Monday 6th to 0700 on Thursday 9th November 2017 this includes all entrance and exit slip roads between Handsworth Road and Sheffield Parkway.

Service 30a towards Plumbley: Sheffield Parkway, Prince of Wales Road, Castlebeck Avenue, Hastilar Road South, Richmond Road, Laverack Street, Handsworth Road.

Service 30a towards Sheffield: Handsworth Road, Richmond Road, Hastilar Road South, Castlebeck Avenue, Prince of Wales Road, Sheffield Parkway.

Service 52 and 52a towards Woodhouse: Main Road, Prince of Wales Road, Castlebeck Avenue, Hastilar Road South, Richmond Road, Laverack Street, Handsworth Road.

Service 52 and 52a towards Hillsborough and Wisewood: Handsworth Road, Richmond Road, Hastilar Road South, Castlebeck Avenue, Prince of Wales Road, Main Road.

Service 72 towards Rotherham: Sheffield Parkway, Prince of Wales Road, Castlebeck Avenue, Hastilar Road South, Richmond Road, Laverack Street, Handsworth Road.

Service 72 towards Sheffield: Handsworth Road, Richmond Road, Hastilar Road South, Castlebeck Avenue, Prince of Wales Road, Sheffield Parkway.

Service 216 towards Dinnington: Richmond Road directly to Laverack Street, Handsworth Road.

Service X5 towards Dinnington: Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way, High Field Spring, Highfield Lane, Rotherham Road, Retford Road.

Service X5 towards Sheffield: Retford Road, Rotherham Road, Highfield Lane, High Field Spring, Poplar Way, Sheffield Parkway.

Handsworth Road: between Dodson Drive and St Joseph’s Road closed to traffic in one direction travelling towards Woodhouse from 1900 on Thursday 9th to 0700 on Saturday 11th November 2017 - this includes egress from Laverack Street turning right into Handsworth Road. Handsworth Road will remain open to traffic travelling from Woodhouse towards Darnall, including the left turn into Richmond Road.

Service 30a towards Plumbley: Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way, High Field Spring, Highfield Lane, Rotherham Road, Retford Road.

Service 30a towards Sheffield: normal route.

Service 52 and 52a towards Woodhouse: Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way, High Field Spring, Highfield Lane, Orgreave Lane, Retford Road.

Service 52 and 52a towards Hillsborough and Wisewood: normal route.

Service 72 towards Rotherham: Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way, High Field Spring, Highfield Lane.

Service 72 towards Sheffield: normal route.

Service 73 towards Rotherham: Richmond Road, Richmond Park Road, Handsworth Road, Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way.

Servce 73 towards Sheffield: normal route.

Service 74 towards Rotherham: Richmond Road, Richmond Park Road, Handsworth Road, Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way.

Service 74 towards Sheffield: normal route.

Service 216 towards Dinnington: Richmond Park Road, Handsworth Road, Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way, High Field Spring, Highfield Lane, Rotherham Road, Retford Road.

Service X5 towards Dinnington: Sheffield Parkway, Poplar Way, High Field Spring, Highfield Lane, Rotherham Road, Retford Road.

Service X5 towards Sheffield: normal route.

It's detailed clearly in the disruptions section of the Travel South Yorkshire web site.

Oh I see. I should have posted the link! So sorry I allowed myself to think the OP could find out by looking for themselves.

Items 1 and 2 - it was.

Item 3 - and what time would you want the road closed?

Item 4 - you are correct, not everyone is capable of a 40 minute walk up hill. Have you thought about walking down hill?

Oh so I realise now that I should look at this website EVERY day just to check I can catch the 52/52a????

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 11:15 ----------

If only they had put the closure notice on big yellow signs for the last 2 weeks.

If only they had big yellow notices on the bus stops on the route for the last week. :huh:

All the closure notices were on Handsworth Road towards the roundabout/Asda none were placed towards the Darnall end of the bus route??

I did not see any notices on any bus stops below the White Rose the week prior to the closure and after speaking to others they saw none either ??

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 11:16 ----------

All the closure notices were on Handsworth Road towards the roundabout/Asda none were placed towards the Darnall end of the bus route??

I did not see any notices on any bus stops below the White Rose the week prior to the closure and after speaking to others they saw none either ??

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 11:17 ----------

If they did it between 7am and 7pm you'd still moan, they can't win

A suitable time to avoid disruption would be to finish before 6am

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 11:25 ----------

Items 1 and 2 - it was.

Item 3 - and what time would you want the road closed?

Item 4 - you are correct, not everyone is capable of a 40 minute walk up hill. Have you thought about walking down hill?

Item 1 and 2 - All the closure notices were on Handsworth Road towards the roundabout/Asda none were placed towards the Darnall end of the bus route??

Item 4 - If I was to take the 'downhill' route it would have meant walking through Darnall at 6.15am in the dark- and as a lone female and due to recent criminal activities South Yorkshire Police have stressed this as not advisable- would you want your Mother/Daughter/Wife walking around Darnall at that time of the day and possibly be the victim of a mugging or sexual related attack???

Apart from the notices that were still on the bus stops this morning down to the bus stop opposite the post office. :loopy:

Apart from the notices that were still on the bus stops this morning down to the bus stop opposite the post office. :loopy:

If you read my quote properly I did mention that there were NO notices on the bus stops 'the week PRIOR to the closure' IE LAST week!!! I agree there are notices on the bus stops THIS week but NONE were there last week!!:rant:

If you read my quote properly I did mention that there were NO notices on the bus stops 'the week PRIOR to the closure' IE LAST week!!! I agree there are notices on the bus stops THIS week but NONE were there last week!!:rant:

Seeing as there were notices on Handsworth Road above and below the roundabout warning that the road would be closed, would you not have deduced that buses would be diverted? Did you think to ask one of the drivers what was happening? Obviously not. Have you complained to SYPTE that they did not put big yellow notices on the bus stops until late last week?

Apart from the big yellow notices on the bus stops from the middle of last week. :roll: