Jump to content

PPI, Anyone Had A Payout

Recommended Posts

I  understand PPI claims end in August so don’t know whether to put in a claim. Has anyone been successful ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havn't been through all the posts so apolagies if it's been covered but it's the same sort of thing I have heard in the last few days.  An advert on the radio says you can make a claim if you have lost money on shares ISAs.  Now as I understand it everything I have ever read clearly states that, " Your investments can go down as well as up",  so what's that all about ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I  understand PPI claims end in August so don’t know whether to put in a claim. Has anyone been successful ?

Also is there a general consensus of which company (that does it all for you) is best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to do it yourself, you keep it all. Free advice and forms available online at Money Saving Expert and others.

If you want someone else to do it for you and find all you accounts, shop cards etc. and ones that were previously rejected then you will receive the whole lot- but later get a bill for 40% of what you got.

 

Never pay in advance or reply to a online message. Use ones that have  advertised on TV.

 

Single accounts up to £7000

Joint accounts up to £14000.

 

 If you have been in the NHS, Army, Council or any public employment then its really easy to prove your case.

Just say "The PPI would not have been of any use, as my sick pay would have covered me for longer than PPI"

Any other scheme or  insurance would most often have been better.

 

Between us we have received nearly £20 000 by our own or through another party who found two forgotten store cards.

 

Do it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a nice little payout for an egg loan. Did it myself using money saving expert as it was the only product I knew I had taken PPI on. The amount included both interest and compensation fee  so ended up with nearly as much back as the original loan I took out in 2000

 

I then went through one of these companies that check for you.  They found I  had PPI on 3 products that I know I never asked for.

 

Two were very well known CC companies who blustered a bit then offered their "stock" payout. In all, I got the thick end of 10k after paying the finders fee. 

 

I'm not sure what peeves more, the companies who are skimming of 20% for finding the PPI, or the companies that didn't say they were including it in the first place.  Then again I can't really complain about paying the fee for money I didn't know I was owed 

 

So if you can be bothered to fill out loads of forms and deal with phone interviews its got to be worth a punt. Do try doing it yourself first then let PPI companies do some digging for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WalkleyIan said:

 

I then went through one of these companies that check for you.  They found I  had PPI on 3 products that I know I never asked for.

 

My friend found exactly the same thing, I assumed the whole PPI fiasco was down to mis-selling or lying to customers, I didn't realise they were just fraudulently charging people for things they never asked for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WalkleyIan said:

I got a nice little payout for an egg loan. Did it myself using money saving expert as it was the only product I knew I had taken PPI on. The amount included both interest and compensation fee  so ended up with nearly as much back as the original loan I took out in 2000

 

I then went through one of these companies that check for you.  They found I  had PPI on 3 products that I know I never asked for.

 

Two were very well known CC companies who blustered a bit then offered their "stock" payout. In all, I got the thick end of 10k after paying the finders fee. 

 

I'm not sure what peeves more, the companies who are skimming of 20% for finding the PPI, or the companies that didn't say they were including it in the first place.  Then again I can't really complain about paying the fee for money I didn't know I was owed 

 

So if you can be bothered to fill out loads of forms and deal with phone interviews its got to be worth a punt. Do try doing it yourself first then let PPI companies do some digging for you 

I am not sure why that peeves you.  

 

That 20% pays for their service.   How else do you think these claims companies make money?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pattricia said:

I  understand PPI claims end in August so don’t know whether to put in a claim. Has anyone been successful ?

Mate of mine has had in the region of £30000 back so get it done 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pattricia said:

I  understand PPI claims end in August so don’t know whether to put in a claim. Has anyone been successful ?

I got £3.5k back, mine was quite easy as I was fairly sure that I'd had PPI on a graduate loan with HSBC.  I just had to fill in a couple of forms directly on the HSBC website and I got a letter back and the cash into my current account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I have had 2 payouts .But please remember that also 20% tax is taken out by the inland revenue. Therefore if you were previously working when you paid it out originally you can claim it back from HMRC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you claim on behalf of a deceased person ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, desy said:

Yes I have had 2 payouts .But please remember that also 20% tax is taken out by the inland revenue. Therefore if you were previously working when you paid it out originally you can claim it back from HMRC.

The interest portion is taxed.

You can claim it back if you haven't gone over your allowance for earning interest free on savings, which is either £1000 or £500 if you're into the higher tax rate.

 

And here's the form to reclaim it.

 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-claim-for-repayment-of-tax-deducted-from-savings-and-investments-r40

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.