Abbeydale Road Bus Lane

Heading in to town on Abbeydale Road are they enforcing the bus lane before Beuchief Lights? I like to think I play fair as if you obey the signage you can end up jumping the queue and <removed> people off but then I hate going in the bus lane as I genuinely feel bad for the cyclists and buses that I hold up! What to do for the best?? Should we all obey the lane and queue in the right lane?? and filter into the left when it's OK? Anyone got a fine here??:help:

I would always obey it during the hours it's in operation. To do so when not in operation is a waste of space. (Haven't been down that way in a while -- am I right that it's only during rush hour?)

Think you mean Abbeydale Roud South nr the corner Beauchief Hotel

Heading in to town on Abbeydale Road are they enforcing the bus lane before Beuchief Lights? I like to think I play fair as if you obey the signage you can end up jumping the queue and <removed> people off but then I hate going in the bus lane as I genuinely feel bad for the cyclists and buses that I hold up! What to do for the best?? Should we all obey the lane and queue in the right lane?? and filter into the left when it's OK? Anyone got a fine here??:help:

You can see which bus lanes / gates are camera enforced on the map on this page: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/travel-transport/bus-lanes-gates

Abbeydale Rd / Abbey lane is not camera enforced. However, do remember that a Police Officer can issue a ticket if they see a contravention.

Thanks for the replies and the link and yes it is Abbeydale road south :)

The bus lane in Abbeydale Road South at Beauchief crossroads usually works brilliantly. Cars go on the inside lane at all times of the day, unless turning right up Abbey Lane for Woodseats. There are very few of those.

Buses take the outside right lane overtaking the stationary cars in the bus only lane, and have little difficulty getting back to the left lane prior to crossing Abbey Lane at the lights because motorists let them in. This is the complete opposite to how the road markings go, but it works well and is a good practical solution. When the traffic planners find some paint they should mark the road out to make it legal.

Only snag is buses picking up passengers in that section - quite a big snag if that's you.

Yep 1978 - I agree but unfortunately in the big brother camera happy world we now live in the authorities have the power to fine as you are driving in the bus lane when it isn't permitted - even though we are using our common sense:)

Get really annoyed with drivers who keep in middle of road when they can use bus lanes

Get really annoyed with drivers who keep in middle of road when they can use bus lanes

Quite agree. Homebase down to Healey being a prime example

The bus lane in Abbeydale Road South at Beauchief crossroads usually works brilliantly. Cars go on the inside lane at all times of the day, unless turning right up Abbey Lane for Woodseats. There are very few of those.

Buses take the outside right lane overtaking the stationary cars in the bus only lane, and have little difficulty getting back to the left lane prior to crossing Abbey Lane at the lights because motorists let them in. This is the complete opposite to how the road markings go, but it works well and is a good practical solution. When the traffic planners find some paint they should mark the road out to make it legal.

Only snag is buses picking up passengers in that section - quite a big snag if that's you.

Good grief, don't let the traffic planners anywhere near it if it is working!

That is what is wrong in and around Sheffield, the incompetent traffic planners.

Well said Phili Buster - the planners put bus gates in that don't work and don't enforce them - then they start to enforce and bedlam ensues! Then they expect us drivers to obey some things but not others - annoying us all - one minute you have to drive in a bus lane to avoid getting other drivers trying to punch you - the next minute stay out of the bus lane or get a fine - it's madness!!