Looking for energy saving spotlight bulbs

Hi

Can you please recommend me spotlight bulbs (GU5.3 fitting) that save me a lot of money on the electricity bill.

I am currently using halogen spotlight 680 lumen 50W from Tesco. I am not sure if there are better low energy bulbs.

Thanks

Hi

Can you please recommend me spotlight bulbs (GU5.3 fitting) that save me a lot of money on the electricity bill.

I am currently using halogen spotlight 680 lumen 50W from Tesco. I am not sure if there are better low energy bulbs.

Thanks

what about these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BTEK-Pack-of-10-LED-Spot-Bulb-GU5-3-MR16-4W-6W-Warm-White-Cool-White-Light/272387683765?epid=1930638340&hash=item3f6b9235b5:m:mrrzdj-2htUN_mDfJE6M7Mg

For a near equivalent light output you will need something like an 8W LED with around 620 lumens.

With LED's it works out around 75+ lumens per W so a 9W if you can get it would be about right, but 9W is not as common.

Edited by apelike

For a near equivalent light output you will need something like an 8W LED with around 620 lumens.

With LED's it works out around 75+ lumens per W so a 9W if you can get it would be about right, but 9W is not as common.

You are correct its lumens that are the most important

---------- Post added 03-11-2017 at 05:20 ----------

Hi

Thanks

Worth checking out

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=Hfr7WcmXDObcgAaOxpa4Cw&q=led+watts+to+lumens+conversion+chart&oq=led+wata+lumens+chart&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.0i13k1j0i8i13i30k1l2.6305.20643.0.24995.22.21.0.0.0.0.116.2055.14j7.21.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.20.1948.0..0j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1j33i21k1j0i13i30k1j0i13i5i30k1.0.G4VqF1aAYOg

...I currently have 70watt std screw in my kitchen that are great but wallop juice and get very hot...........any ideas for improvement would be appreciated!

...I currently have 70watt std screw in my kitchen that are great but wallop juice and get very hot...........any ideas for improvement would be appreciated!

Toolstation sell a wide variety of led bulbs ,have a look on their website

As do Screwfix.

We had 100w spotlamps in our Kitchen, electricity meter was spinning like a top!

The problem is matching the luminosity (lumens) of replacement LED's to the 50/60/70W lamps. You will find that Toolstation and also Screwfix have very little in the way of LED replacement for those wattage and when they do they are also expensive.

alankearn has linked to a guide which is worth reading when trying to match the light output so first check the lumen output of the ones you have and try and match that. As said you get around 70-80 lumens per Watt on average and that also depends if the LED's are high output ones which many cheap brands are not.

Forgot to add that the colour temperature of the LED's can also make a difference which is measured in Kelvin. Normally you get (rounded) Warm white @2700k, Neutral white @4000k and Cool white @6000. Think warm white as like a candle glow with Cool white like snow. Cool may look brighter as it also makes any surrounding white surface look white as snow.

Edited by apelike

The problem is matching the luminosity (lumens) of replacement LED's to the 50/60/70W lamps. You will find that Toolstation and also Screwfix have very little in the way of LED replacement for those wattage and when they do they are also expensive.

alankearn has linked to a guide which is worth reading when trying to match the light output so first check the lumen output of the ones you have and try and match that. As said you get around 70-80 lumens per Watt on average and that also depends if the LED's are high output ones which many cheap brands are not.

Forgot to add that the colour temperature of the LED's can also make a difference which is measured in Kelvin. Normally you get (rounded) Warm white @2700k, Neutral white @4000k and Cool white @6000. Think warm white as like a candle glow with Cool white like snow. Cool may look brighter as it also makes any surrounding white surface look white as snow.

......thanks for that!...........yes the warmth of the light is very important to me,that's why I have stuck to the old filament spots for so long!

LED Hut is worth a look, but if your lights have dimmers, they may need changing for LED compatible ones, so don't forget to factor in that cost as well.