First interest rise in ten years

If you lot are relying on bank interest rates as a return on your money then you deserve what you get. Welcome to the world of stocks and properties to make your money work for you.

Edited by ez8004

Properties should be for living in not a means of income.About time landlords started getting taxed heavily.The only thing I agree with Jeremy Corbyn on.Landlords are keeping house prices high and the young off of the property ladder,it has to change.Another product of Thatcher and Blair.:rant:

Properties should be for living in not a means of income.About time landlords started getting taxed heavily.The only thing I agree with Jeremy Corbyn on.Landlords are keeping house prices high and the young off of the property ladder,it has to change.Another product of Thatcher and Blair.:rant:

It would be ok, but there is a lot of foreign money invested in UK houses.

We must accept that money can flow beyond a countries borders, because its impossible to stop. But our Government should build/fund more social housing to stop sky rocketing price increases.

Moan all you want. Not my problem if people are not astute enough with their money. No government is going to change the current status quo. There has already been changes to how buy to let interest rates can no longer be considered as a cost for tax purposes. Which is why you don’t have a mortgage in the first place ;)

People can get less than 2% on a mortgage.

So that was 1.75% above the base rate, and only the people with the best credit ratings and high deposits can get that rate.

FTB typically have something closer to 4%.

---------- Post added 05-11-2017 at 18:56 ----------

Moan all you want. Not my problem if people are not astute enough with their money. No government is going to change the current status quo. There has already been changes to how buy to let interest rates can no longer be considered as a cost for tax purposes. Which is why you don’t have a mortgage in the first place ;)

Make up your mind. Is it "No government is going to change the current status quo" or is it "There has[sic] already been changes"?

The government have quite clearly been targeting landlords in recent changes, as you say mortgage interest relief against income, also the stamp duty surcharge on 2nd and subsequent properties, the HMO legislation, legislation about minimum efficiency ratings. That's so far, there may still be more to come.

It's all arranged so that it deters the casual landlord, it won't affect the key tory demographic of course, those who run property empires as a business are less affected.

So that was 1.75% above the base rate, and only the people with the best credit ratings and high deposits can get that rate.

---------- Post added 05-11-2017 at 18:56 ----------

Make up your mind. Is it "No government is going to change the current status quo" or is it "There has[sic] already been changes"?

The government have quite clearly been targeting landlords in recent changes, as you say mortgage interest relief against income, also the stamp duty surcharge on 2nd and subsequent properties, the HMO legislation, legislation about minimum efficiency ratings. That's so far, there may still be more to come.

It's all arranged so that it deters the casual landlord, it won't affect the key tory demographic of course, those who run property empires as a business are less affected.

Have trouble reading do we? The "current" status quo includes the recent changes. So I was implying there will be no further changes in the near future. It's not hard to comprehend.

Well, this will be an easy one to test won't it. We'll revisit it in a few years, same time of year so you're on your half term break again, and see.

I think 4% is way too high for the average FTB.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/386301/uk-average-mortgage-interest-rates/

Roughly half of Britain’s 11m mortgage borrowers are on fixed rates, while the other half are on a tracker, standard variable or discounted rates.

Edited by El Cid

No I don't have a mortgage because I paid it off years ago.

Is the main reason for low interest rates for businesses to invest, at low cost?

No,its so the rich/super rich,Government ministers etc..can take out multi-million pound mortgages to buy large homes while house prices/rates are low,doing what they always do..looking after themselves...and pretending they are helping the poorer ones....:mad:

The super rich surely don't take out mortgages at all.