One for the girls

Remember 'Nylons'. 1962ish, before tights, oh the trill of opening a beautifully packed pair of 15 denier, size 8 1/2 seamfree American tan. They would have been a birthday or Christmas present because they were far to expensive for me to afford.

I was a regular at the stockings stall on the market trying to match up a couple of pairs. Finding a pair the same colour and length in the huge tangle was nigh on impossible. Happy days.

Far better than tights...... seemed stockings complete with cuban heel

Brings back memories, if it was a special occasion 10 denier. Did

we buy in packs of 2 pairs? I remember trying to sort through to find

2 decent ones. Down to the rag and tag market to buy shoes from

Nat Elstons for 19/11d early Saturday morning.

10 denier eh? Ooh! Bet they laddered easily though? Did you used to catch em with a bit of nail polish to stop the ladder running further? Girls these days don't bother! I was in Trippets on saturday night and two nice looking girls came in, both had ladders in their stockings/tights. I said to my missus, that would have been a sign of a low-life girl back in the day. I still don't like to see it tbh.

Well, I'm a bloke, but I have some knowledge of denier ratings, although by the time I was old enough to take a close interest most of the girls I dated had progressed on to tights. This was bad news as they often wore two pairs of knickers, one under and one over, to keep the tights up. :mad:

My mother used to go for a heavier denier rating. There were two advantages with this. 1 They didn't ladder so easily and 2 You could use them for straining elderberries and making elderberry wine.

Home made elderberry wine! Delicious! I like to think my mother used a new stocking every time though. :gag: