Penistone Road Speed Camera

Hi All,

I’ve just drove past the leisure centre on penistone road and noticed what appears to be a new small white speed camera attached to a lamp post, has anyone got anymore information?

Speed cameras aren't white and are never attached to lamp posts so it won't be a speed camera. :)

The appropriate speed camera sign is below the camera but after doing some research online I think it could be an ANPR camera

Edited by Charlie3598

Could be a traffic monitoring camera, they've been out of order for ages.

Could be a traffic monitoring camera, they've been out of order for ages.

They aren't "out of order", the traffic control room at the Council and the Police use them all the time.

All that has happened is that they are no longer able to share the images with the public as the server the images were housed on is now defunct and hasn't been replaced.

you sure it's not a nesting box for the Hillsborough Tree Penguin?

The appropriate speed camera sign is below the camera but after doing some research online I think it could be an ANPR camera

That is indeed an ANPR camera.

And you can pick up its WiFi signal if you're anywhere near it.

Speed cameras aren't white and are never attached to lamp posts so it won't be a speed camera. :)

Really? I accept they aren't in use in Sheffield, but how about the last item on This Link i.e. "Speedspike"

Really? I accept they aren't in use in Sheffield, but how about the last item on This Link i.e. "Speedspike"

I live behind the owls ground, and travel along leppings onto Penistone - today I looked at the camera as I went past. It looks exactly like the speedspike & given it had a camera sign right above the camera - I would guess it is actually active but given it has only appeared this week then penalty notices won’t have arrived yet!

I’m not sure why they have installed it where they have as that section of road is generally busy during the day especially at peak times - I guess it’s only at night when drivers will be travelling at speed. Seems a bit pointless if they are wanting to ‘slow’ traffic down ( although we all know they are cash cows). If that was the true reason for installing ( the cash cow bit) then they should have installed it further down ..

It looks exactly like the speedspike & given it had a camera sign right above the camera - I would guess it is actually active but given it has only appeared this week then penalty notices won’t have arrived yet!

Should they not be at least two cameras to measure the average speed between 2 points?

Should they not be at least two cameras to measure the average speed between 2 points?

I dont generally come down penistone from past the ground ( going into town)..so I’m not sure if there is another camera along that stretch of road ( before the camera closest to gym). If I remember I will go & investigate tomorrow . ?