Railway parking madness

I always use the Q-Park, free. The "drop off" zone is invariably full of cars waiting to "pick up", and it becomes a congested nightmare.

The OP is correct in as much as if you come via the side road near the Leadmill, and Mercedes Garage, you have to go straight across and try and get around the side streets to the Q-Park.

Maybe they know what their legs are for but are unable to walk too far dragging a suitcase or perhaps their legs aren't the problem. I hope you are never in that position.

Or maybe they are just lazy ! There really ARE so many people who almost have apoplexy if they are not dropped off at the door !

The OP mentioned nothing about disability

I know far more than the average person about such difficulties which I won't go into here but I suggest you wind your neck in mate and calm down :hihi:

Regards

Edited by Daven

Or maybe they are just lazy ! There really ARE so many people who almost have apoplexy if they are not dropped off at the door !

The OP mentioned nothing about disability

I know far more than the average person about such difficulties which I won't go into here but I suggest you wind your neck in mate and calm down :hihi:

Regards

I think you should wind your neck in and calm down dear. I was making a point

which obviously you can't or won't accept or understand. Maybe I know more about it than you think.

It's unlikely that all the people blocking up the area are doing so because they are picking up people who can't walk far.

You can see that for yourself. I can see it for myself whilst I wait to pick someone up who can walk perfectly well.

The fact is that people want a drop off AND pick up zone, they don't want to go into a car park when they know the person is 5 minutes away and on their way.

Any idiot designing the new layout could have figured out that more space was needed for pick up, and whilst at it, that a flow THROUGH the station, in one side, out the other, would have worked considerably better than a loop.

It's unlikely that all the people blocking up the area are doing so because they are picking up people who can't walk far.

You can see that for yourself. I can see it for myself whilst I wait to pick someone up who can walk perfectly well.

The fact is that people want a drop off AND pick up zone, they don't want to go into a car park when they know the person is 5 minutes away and on their way.

Any idiot designing the new layout could have figured out that more space was needed for pick up, and whilst at it, that a flow THROUGH the station, in one side, out the other, would have worked considerably better than a loop.

Well if one could access the car park without a ticket stopping in there might not be so inconvenient. As it is the driver has to exit to then re-enter with the passenger (unless they wait and follow someone else in).

Personally I do use the car park for pickup because the queue to get anywhere near the station usually looks horrendous and chaotic, so I don't deem it worth the stress!

Exactly. Without a great deal of extra work, they could have made a one way loop say down Cross Turner street, put a pick up zone with ANPR camera parking restrictions and fines if anyone stays longer than say 10 mins (or whatever is deemed reasonable), then loop back out through the BTP foyer area where the current drop off zone is and then out via Turner street.

Any planner would have to deal with people wanting to get on and of trains to complete their journeys.

Any planner knows that movement is maximised when methods are separated.

The taxi rank and bus stop(60) used to be regularly blocked by parked cars and a continuous stream of cars waiting for various lengths of time.

The vast majority of users were hindered by these and very difficult crossing under or across the road.

Any planner must accommodate all users and currently I am very happy with my tram, taxi, bus, cycle and pedestrian access.

Some car users are having a difficult time getting used to the idea that there are peak and slack times at the station and that they have four or five choices on where to pick up drop off.

At a Blue route tram stop.

Harmer Lane

Paternoster Row

Cross Turner Street

QPark

Leadmill Road

All of which are legal or legalish and free.

Some are much less likely to be obstructed and so a slightly longer walk is compensated by a better guarantee of timing.

There are another two places which can be used with very little risk and will not endanger or obstruct and are still on the roadway.

Without a great deal of extra work, they could have made a one way loop say down Cross Turner street, put a pick up zone with ANPR camera parking restrictions and fines if anyone stays longer than say 10 mins (or whatever is deemed reasonable), then loop back out through the BTP foyer area where the current drop off zone is and then out via Turner street.

Parking on a public highway, in a limited waiting bay, cannot lawfully be enforced by a highway authority (the Council) using ANPR cameras.

However on private land, the operator can pretty much do what they like.

I use the railway station car park, maybe 4 or 5 times a month. I've known it take 10 minutes or more to get into the car park from Fornham street on several occasions. The problem being taxi's blocking the way and general congestion. Other times I've had no problem and drove straight in. It depends on the time of day of course to a large extent. At peak times I'd probably allow 15 minutes extra on my journey to allow for any congestion around the station.

The way I'd read the OP was that it could be improved. I agree with that.

I sometimes use Dronfield - I didn't realise you had to pay there now? I occasionally use Chesterfield and agree with the comments about it being much easier to access than Sheffield. I've occasionally used Dore & Totley as well. That was great when they first opened the new car park there and it's still free as far as I know. But it's often full and the problem of parked cars at the bottom of Dore Road has returned.

I think you should wind your neck in and calm down dear. I was making a point

which obviously you can't or won't accept or understand. Maybe I know more about it than you think.

You insinuated that I was being thoughtless and didn't know what I was talking about. As I said in my post, I have a lot of understanding on the subject.

I know you were making a point, as was I, but your communication skills are not the best so you came over as being aggressive and arrogant.

Take a deep breath and think before you post.

'I hope you are never in that position' is unkind - how do you know that I'm not ?

---------- Post added 01-11-2017 at 17:09 ----------

Parking on a public highway, in a limited waiting bay, cannot lawfully be enforced by a highway authority (the Council) using ANPR cameras.

When I am collecting from the train station I park up around the back of the sorting office near Pond Street and wait for a text from the person I am collecting then pick them up from the layby just beyond the 'blade'.

Very easy, stress free and legal - I think.....

Edited by Daven

How does the council/station/BTP deal with people parking in the drop off area currently?

When I am collecting from the train station I park up around the back of the sorting office near Pond Street and wait for a text from the person I am collecting then pick them up from the layby just beyond the 'blade'.

Very easy, stress free and legal - I think.....

All your posts are on this topic are ideologist posts, if you don't mind me saying Daven (as this may look rude).

'People can use their legs and walk' type things, are all ideologist in this situation that the topic is about.

(also, for one, something that I haven't seen anyone notice is that if the OP entered from Royal STandard, then they are using the Forncett Street access, which is by FAR the worst of the 2 options for entering the station from this side of town) - edit: in this case, the best option with experience is kick them out early, and turn right onto Suffolk :hihi:

How are people supposed to know that if they don't do it regularly?

Shoreham way in is always my choice, but often not much better.

-

The ideology aspect is because- yes - you CAN park for x hours in the car park, but luggage or not, it's quite obviously not an option that most people take.

I'm no planner, but even from driving for 25 years, I notice the same things all the time... crap junctions have lots of accidents... crap layouts cause traffic build ups...

and everyone online says 'well if people didn't do this or that', etc.

In this case, it's nonsense. There is no defence of this layout that I've seen, from anyone, here or in real life.

It's dreadful.

-

I think your text thing really says it all. This is what I do when picking someone up, but bypassing the 'rules' - I use my brain, as you do, and most of other people who have experience of the place do. You have far to much respect for the average person! :hihi: