Railway parking madness

We must assume the OP is visually handicapped (or whatever the PC term is now)

There’s a free car park for 30mins for people like you. Follow the signs marked Car Park and park. You don’t need to be in Mensa !

In Dronfield, the half car park that is available by the station is now subject to a parking charge. The side roads nearby are now chocca.....

There was a problem at Dronfield of non rail users parking in the station car park, the school being one of the culprits. The idea is genuine rail passengers pay to use the car park and others who shouldn't be there have been flushed out and are now parking on street.

If you live on the South side of Sheffield, use Chesterfield.

Well laid out, less expensive, Ok to wait for a few minutes FOC to pick up someone off the train, no stress. Easy to move with your suitcase, no taxi graveyard, etc.

I agree, Sheffield Midland approached by car is a nightmare. The genius who designed the layout should be made to live there, a sort of modern day Sisyphus......

Unless you're heading south on a cross-country train as every other train doesn't stop there.

To everyone insulting the OP, his post reads like the traffic to enter the station area started on the road next to Remar and therefore even if he was actually trying to get the free car park (which he may well have been!) he'd still have been stuck in traffic caused by terrible road planning.

I've been caught there a few times in similarly awful traffic and you really just wonder what on earth the council were thinking. It's been re-worked twice and is still considerably worse than it was before the re-modelling.

To everyone insulting the OP, his post reads like the traffic to enter the station area started on the road next to Remar and therefore even if he was actually trying to get the free car park (which he may well have been!) he'd still have been stuck in traffic caused by terrible road planning.

I've been caught there a few times in similarly awful traffic and you really just wonder what on earth the council were thinking. It's been re-worked twice and is still considerably worse than it was before the re-modelling.

I think you're right. The OPs post wasn't very clear, but yes, sometimes you have a heck of a job just getting to the Q Park.

Years ago, before the whole re-jig, do you remember how the taxi rank was about 5 taxis wide? You could get multiple cabs loading at once. Now they all have to queue up behind each other, which is a terrible bottleneck.

Unless you're heading south on a cross-country train as every other train doesn't stop there.

All the trains going south from Sheffield stop at Chesterfield apart from a few Cross Country trains to Reading and beyond during the day. Connect at Derby for these.

All trains to Nottingham, Peterborough and beyond, Bristol and beyond and London stop

All the trains going south from Sheffield stop at Chesterfield apart from a few Cross Country trains to Reading and beyond during the day. Connect at Derby for these.

All trains to Nottingham, Peterborough and beyond, Bristol and beyond and London stop

Half the XC trains don't stop at Chesterfield, the one's that run via Doncaster.

Don't be silly he might have to walk a short distance .

And there is both the problem and the solution.

There are far too many people who have forgotten what their legs are for.

God forbid they should have to walk more than a few yards:rolleyes:

Edited by Daven

And there is both the problem and the solution.

There are far too many people who have forgotten what their legs are for.

God forbid they should have to walk more than a few yards:rolleyes:

Maybe they know what their legs are for but are unable to walk too far dragging a suitcase or perhaps their legs aren't the problem. I hope you are never in that position.

I think you're right. The OPs post wasn't very clear, but yes, sometimes you have a heck of a job just getting to the Q Park.

Years ago, before the whole re-jig, do you remember how the taxi rank was about 5 taxis wide? You could get multiple cabs loading at once. Now they all have to queue up behind each other, which is a terrible bottleneck.

Yes. It was brilliant as it was, and as I said even a bus stop at the station.

Like everything in Sheffield everything to do with planning and design is poor. Our ring roads don't work, one collision or broken down paralyses the City from North to south, East to West. So l'm not surprised that the OP was frustrated at the train station by the ridiculous lack of space allocated for taxis etc. Personally l use the Q Park which is free for 30 mins when l pick up or drop off. I can see how congested it is around there too....badly organised, but then again what more can you expect from our short-sighted Council!

I liked it when you could drive right upto the door, drop-off only?

ALWAYS some total moron parked in the drop-off area blocking everyone in.

Saw a few heated exchanges there :hihi::hihi::hihi: