Places for Christmas dinner

i always go to the bowshaw just down from meadowhead,top grub at sensible prices for xmas day

You might struggle to find a quality restaurant in Sheffield, full stop! ;) No, that's a bit harsh, there are a few, but not so many. And as for finding one that does lunch on Christmas Day, I think you'll be lucky tbh.

There's the usual "carvery" chain pub things, like some have already mentioned. Toby Inns, Crown Carveries and the like. Then there's the Vintage Inn chain, like Dore Moor Inn and Fox House. I don't know if they are open on Christmas Day but you'll get pleasant surroundings and reasonably good food.

I'd look at further afield if I were you. I don't know if any of the following are open on Christmas Day, but they are all very nice settings...

Hassop Hall, Hassop, Near Bakewell.

Cavendish Hotel, Baslow.

George Hotel, Hathersage.

Riverside, Ashford in the Water, near Bakewell.

Haddon Hall,near Bakewell.

Maynard Arms, Grindleford.

Old Vicarage, Ridgeway, Near Sheffield.

Or you could try some upper end dining pubs..

Devonshire Arms, Beeley, Near Chatsworth.

Plough, Hathersage.

The Bear, near Alderwasley, Derbyshire.

Going in the other direction, north of Sheffield...

Beatson House, Cawthorne, near Barnsley.

The Old Post Office, Haigh, near Barnsley. (Fantastic value - great steaks!)

The 3 Acres, Shelley, near Huddersfield.

The Kaye Arms, Grange Moor, near Huddersfield.

Another option would be to jump on a train to Manchester and go to one of the many top restaurants there.

Australasia

Tattu

Hawksmoor

Another option would be to rent a little cottage somewhere in the countryside and get away from it all.

Yes, and in both Manchester and Leeds - Tattu, Gaucho, The Ivy, Restaurant, Bar and Grill.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I'm still searching and still pondering.

A rented cottage sounds good, but I need someone like Gordon Ramsay or  The Hairy Bikers to trek out to us to do the cooking.

How much do you think they'd charge? :)

I think you've missed the boat for this year with regards normal restaurants. But if you have a room at a hotel with a decent restaurant there might be a chance they'd squeeze you in?? 

Otherwise Waitrose/M&S do some pretty decent ready prepped Christmas dinner stuff! 

On 11/17/2017 at 11:22 PM, sedith said:

Bloody Hell, it was horrendous last time I went in there. Absolutely revolting, not even worth the £4 carvery!

It must have improved then?

It is terrible.  But some folks have no idea what they are eating and are not at all discerning.  So some will love it no doubt.

I'm currently planning our food shopping. I've given up looking for a suitable place.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I'm going to try extra, extra hard to make the tastiest festive food you can get.

I can make it special and I will make it special.

Trouble is, I have trouble boiling an egg.

Have faith ya fool! ........................................

On 10/30/2018 at 5:00 PM, bassett one said:

i always go to the bowshaw just down from meadowhead,top grub at sensible prices for xmas day

You tell us a lot about yourself and your taste in food by referring to it as  "grub".  It's not a glowing endorsement this.

My wife has gone there with her mum and sister, with kids in tow, years ago, when I've been away.  It's been "alright".  Nothing special, but not bad and probably a good deal better than the terrible "Crown Carveries" pub chain, but that's not saying much.

I could not contemplate spending my Christmas lunch in such a place tbh.  Then again, I enjoy cooking, be that Sunday lunch or Christmas lunch.  I'd much rather be at home, although if I was by myself I probably wouldn't bother.