Probate Office Address Sheffield

thanks for the comments, I am going to have a crack at doing it myself first I think - I believe there is still a fee of around £215 even on your own though - but still much better than £500+ !

When my mother died, my father was put in contact (via Barclays) with a company who he was told would sort out all the probate for him. They were going to charge £9,000+, not including 'third party' charges, such as the £215 for the actual grant of probate, or getting land registry documents.

Thinking that was ludicrous, I told him to cancel the contract, and that we would do it ourselves.

It cost a total of £233.

thanks for the comments, I am going to have a crack at doing it myself first I think - I believe there is still a fee of around £215 even on your own though - but still much better than £500+ !

Yes the bill is around £215 for going to Probate, it was that amount 3 years ago. I had to go to probate after my father died I filled the forms in online if I recall correctly and then went to Sheffield Crown Court building to take his will. Was told they were busy and I could swear an oath at a solicitors instead if I wanted, I said I wasn't in a rush and had to wait around two weeks. It is a really simple process to do yourself, I was told some places charges a percentage of the estate. Just make sure you have listed everything on the form that you need to. I was surprised that they keep the original will and you get a copy returned to you.

Edited by iansheff

The Co-Op offer a free advice service on any bereavement matters, so if you want that number, let me know via private message on here.

Just been through the same thing, as my Mum died a few weeks ago.

Wonder if anyone can offer some useful advice. My mother died in December, leaving a will. My sister and I are executors, and to share the estate equally...

This just leaves really the house. We basically just want it transferring into our names jointly, we aren't looking to sell.

As the house is not being passed to a spouse, do we definitely need to be granted probate? And even then, that doesn't include transferring the house into our names, does it?

Yes, the Estate cannot be wound-up (and the Executors do have a legal duty to wind it up) unless the house is assented to you and your sister.

To execute an Assent, you need the authority which a Grant of Probate confers.

If you do the house transfer yourself, you have to travel to a Land Registry office (Nottingham or Hull) to sign in presence of LR staff (in 2013) or have it witnessed for small fee by solicitor.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android