Probate Office Address Sheffield

Could anyone help.

I have applied for probate & sent off all documentation to the probate office in Sheffield 4weeks ago.

This has now been returned to me, via Belfast, by Royal Mail with 1 of their lovely red stickers saying 'address incomplete'.

The address is correct as checked on the website.

Is there another address i should be sending it to.

This is just stress added onto stress i do not need.

I hope someone can help.

Guest sibon

It is at West Bar Law Courts.

I hand delivered my stuff and they processed it really quickly.

I don't disagree, but why doesn't the official website list the PO Box address?

What address did the OP use?

You have to send the forms to Leeds, 31 York Pl, Leeds LS1 2ED. You can swear the oath at the Sheffield office.

Yes. The Sheffield office is just a Sub-Registry. It ceased long ago to have full Registry powers.

So it's now impossible for a Grant of Probate etc. to be formally stated as 'Issued at the Sheffield Probate Registry'. There is none.

Wonder if anyone can offer some useful advice. My mother died in December, leaving a will. My sister and I are executors, and to share the estate equally. As the amount of money in the bank was not large, the bank were happy to accept the will and close out the account, splitting between us both, and most other items (pensions, utilities etc) are either now closed, or transferred to our names as appropriate. The funeral costs should be covered by an insurance plan.

This just leaves really the house. We basically just want it transferring into our names jointly, we aren't looking to sell.

As the house is not being passed to a spouse, do we definitely need to be granted probate? And even then, that doesn't include transferring the house into our names, does it?

We're just getting really confused, and have had varying quotes from different law firms (upto £500+VAT for the grant of probate, and anywhere between £200+VAT to around £500 for the transfer of the property).

We just want to get it done correctly and not get fleeced... to us, it seems straightforward, there is no one else who would be making any claims.

Any positive advice is greatfully accepted.

Wonder if anyone can offer some useful advice. My mother died in December, leaving a will. My sister and I are executors, and to share the estate equally. As the amount of money in the bank was not large, the bank were happy to accept the will and close out the account, splitting between us both, and most other items (pensions, utilities etc) are either now closed, or transferred to our names as appropriate. The funeral costs should be covered by an insurance plan.

This just leaves really the house. We basically just want it transferring into our names jointly, we aren't looking to sell.

As the house is not being passed to a spouse, do we definitely need to be granted probate? And even then, that doesn't include transferring the house into our names, does it?

We're just getting really confused, and have had varying quotes from different law firms (upto £500+VAT for the grant of probate, and anywhere between £200+VAT to around £500 for the transfer of the property).

We just want to get it done correctly and not get fleeced... to us, it seems straightforward, there is no one else who would be making any claims.

You can get the forms and do it yourself or you could contact Jeffrey shaw on here and he will give you good advice

Could anyone help.

I have applied for probate & sent off all documentation to the probate office in Sheffield 4weeks ago.

This has now been returned to me, via Belfast, by Royal Mail with 1 of their lovely red stickers saying 'address incomplete'.

The address is correct as checked on the website.

Is there another address i should be sending it to.

This is just stress added onto stress i do not need.

I hope someone can help.

Where did you send it to ?

Hi sheff

You can easily do your own probate stuff. It certainly isn’t worth paying 500 quid for. All the forms and guidance are on the government website. It is worth taking the time to read the guidance carefully, but the process is very straightforward.

I can’t help you with transferring the house as I’ve never done that myself. I would say that 200 quid doesn’t sound extortionate to ensure that a major asset is correctly assigned to you both.

thanks for the comments, I am going to have a crack at doing it myself first I think - I believe there is still a fee of around £215 even on your own though - but still much better than £500+ !