Rock on the rates 1981

Did anyone on here go to any of the concerts organized by Council.

I understand there were 13 concerts, I was lucky enough to see

Bow Wow Wow 2/9/81

The Fall + Higsons 4/9/81

UK Subs + Injectors 5/9/81

New Order + Section 25 23/9/81

And my favorite Sheffield band

Comsat Angels + Tense + Mirror Crack'd 25/9/81

Don't have a great memory but I found ticket stubs as I've just moved.

Can anyone on here fill in the other 8 bands?

Here is at least two more for you

"....Rough Copy also supported The Damned at the Poly on the Rock on the Rates scheme..."

I can't remember the list of Rock on the Rates gigs because I went to so many at the time that they've overlapped and become blurred in my memory, but I definitely went to the Fall gig and I had a bootleg cassette of the Comsat Angels gig which I played until it came to the same end that all cassettes did.

Here is at least two more for you

"....Rough Copy also supported The Damned at the Poly on the Rock on the Rates scheme..."

Yes they were, rummaged around and found ticket for it dated

Sept 18th 1981

Person6 , like you I went to so many great gigs in the early 80's some I remember, some I don't , if I hadn't kept a great deal of the ticket stubs I wouldn't have known.

So many great bands came to Sheffield around that time.

The Exploited were on as well, can't remember what support were called..they were rubbish anyway!

This came up  recently on The Fall Online Forum, and having researched the gigs using the microfilmed copies of The Star in the public library I was able to construct a list of all the gigs as reported in the late great Martin Lilleker's column (apart from a couple where I dug out information from fan site gig listings, having run out of time in the library - and for Comsat Angels, a date was given in the Star, but not the names of the support bands, which I've relied on a Comsats fan site for).

Here are all 13:

2nd September 1981: Bow Wow Wow, supported by The Higsons
4th September 1981: The Fall, supported by Disease and The Past Seven Days
5th September 1981: UK Subs, supported by Injectors
7th September 1981: Clint Eastwood and General Saint, supported by Reggae Regulars
9th September 1981: The Look, supported by Deaf Aids and Panza Division
11th September 1981: John Peel Roadshow, with Artery and Vendino Pact
12th September 1981: Cimarons, supported by Far Image and Paradise Steel Band
14th September 1981: Geddes Axe, supported by Tokyo and Vortex
16th September 1981: Crazy Cavan, supported by The Jets and Freebird
18th September 1981: The Damned, supported by Rough Copy
21st September 1981: The Exploited, supported by Social Security and Abrasive Wheels (from other info on web)
23rd September 1981: New Order, supported by Section 25 and Stockholm Monsters (from other info on web)
25th September 1981: The Comsat Angels, supported by Tense & Mirror Crack'd (from other info on the web)

Edited by Dannyno

Awesome list Dannyno,  Sheffield really was great in the late 70s early 80s so many amazing bands came to The Limit, Top Rank, Polytechnic, University and Leadmill.

If they didn’t come here you could travel to Retford Porterhouse, Doncaster Outlook or Rotters, even Chesterfield put on bands at Fusion.

Happy days.

Were those gigs all at the Poly or other venues too?

On 07/11/2019 at 18:27, Dannyno said:

This came up  recently on The Fall Online Forum, and having researched the gigs using the microfilmed copies of The Star in the public library I was able to construct a list of all the gigs as reported in the late great Martin Lilleker's column (apart from a couple where I dug out information from fan site gig listings, having run out of time in the library - and for Comsat Angels, a date was given in the Star, but not the names of the support bands, which I've relied on a Comsats fan site for).

Here are all 13:

2nd September 1981: Bow Wow Wow, supported by The Higsons
4th September 1981: The Fall, supported by Disease and The Past Seven Days
5th September 1981: UK Subs, supported by Injectors
7th September 1981: Clint Eastwood and General Saint, supported by Reggae Regulars
9th September 1981: The Look, supported by Deaf Aids and Panza Division
11th September 1981: John Peel Roadshow, with Artery and Vendino Pact
12th September 1981: Cimarons, supported by Far Image and Paradise Steel Band
14th September 1981: Geddes Axe, supported by Tokyo and Vortex
16th September 1981: Crazy Cavan, supported by The Jets and Freebird
18th September 1981: The Damned, supported by Rough Copy
21st September 1981: The Exploited, supported by Social Security and Abrasive Wheels (from other info on web)
23rd September 1981: New Order, supported by Section 25 and Stockholm Monsters (from other info on web)
25th September 1981: The Comsat Angels, supported by Tense & Mirror Crack'd (from other info on the web)

great list, wish i was older, i was only 12, very slightly too young to be travelling round town to gigs on mi own, 14 maybe? didnt leave school until 85

On 14/11/2019 at 20:44, Bilge said:

Were those gigs all at the Poly or other venues too?

All at the Phoenix Hall (what became the Nelson Mandela building) as far as I can tell.

who was responsible for the pop concerts in Western Park late 60's early 70's?

& any one know who any of the bands were?